The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission driven, faith-
based institution. The role of the Pavilion Manager in working with the campus community and
responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university’s contemporary Roman
The manager is responsible for the coordination and execution of the functional operation of a
Dining Services Unit that is open 7 days a week. They will be responsible for envisioning,
executing and sustaining a dining department with high quality experiential and programmatic
standards for the campus and its guests. The manager will ensure the financial health of the
operation by monitoring inventory, financial data and staffing levels. They are responsible for
the training, coordination, and evaluations of full time and part time staff. This position is
responsible for providing excellent quality products in a safe and aesthetically pleasing dining
environment. Assures quality customer service and guest satisfaction and assists in the
development of departmental goals. In partnership with the Unit’s Chef, supports daily
operations including, employee scheduling, inventory management, menu execution,
promotional marketing opportunities, staff safety, and equipment and facility maintenance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains Controls/Financial
- • Control the compilation of expense figures for weekly operational reports
- Maintains financial spreadsheets
- Assures that service and product offerings meet campus needs in cost efficient manner
- Controls use of labor through effective scheduling, proper training and supervision
- Reviews manpower needs, evaluates labor costs and proposes new staff positions as needed
- Staffs dining unit to meet projected sales and/or customer counts.
- Identifies deviations from desired financial results and develops and executes corrective action plans
- Enforces proper cash handling procedures; ensures accurate and timely deposits
- Oversees the coordination and ordering of supplies and small equipment for the department
- Develops goals and incentives within units to increase revenue
- Ensures proper monthly billing of all departmental charges
- Maintains proper security of all areas, equipment and food products
- Enforces policies and procedures for proper operation of the POS system
- Analyzes operational situations such as staff and product shortages, equipment failures or other problems, provides timely solutions to problems • Assists in creating yearly budgets
- Conducts accurate monthly inventories
- Assists in the evaluation, development and implementation of proper policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Director, evaluates, develops and implements policies and procedures for department.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining goals, and in conjunction with the Director, assists in setting goals for the department.
- Delegates responsibility and authority as appropriate to meet operational goals and objectives.
- Customer Relations
- Ensures prompt, friendly service.
- Coordinates responsibilities for the smooth operation of the dining unit and all special events
- Responsible for developing and maintaining good customer relations with other areas of dining services and the University community.
- Fosters an environment of customer awareness by staff. Manager, Dining Services DecemberOctober 202017 Page 3 of 6
- Responds to customer input through dining room contacts, customer comment cards and supervisor logs.
- Responds promptly to customer complaints
- Receptive to customers dietary restrictions and meets with customers as needed to establish daily contact that we are meeting their allergen and/or nutritional needs
- Attends conferences and/or workshops that will benefit operation of units.
- Employee Relations/Recruiting and Retention
- Assures compliance with Dining Services policies and procedures
- Develops part-time job descriptions
- Responds to employee complaints
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the dining team and monitor adherence to service and quality standards.
- Responsible for developing and implementing accountability controls of staff to ensure maximum operational efficiency
- Promotes teamwork among leaders and staff
- Develops and maintains communication with staff
- Develops and implements programs for employee recognition
- Conducts thorough interviews on potential employees; researches all references
- Selects employees to ensure adequate staffing levels
- Teaches employees non-negotiable standards of performance.
- Develops and conducts individual and group training sessions and gives instruction to employees to meet job requirements.
- Sets a positive example for employees.
- Provides opportunities for staff development.
- Responsible for scheduling of part-time employees.
- Takes corrective action to ensure acceptable employee performance, documents as appropriate
- Provides both positive and corrective feedback to employees regarding performance and goals.
- Conducts formal performance reviews.
- Responsible for the supervision, training, discipline and evaluation of all employees
- Periodically updates employee training manuals
- Quality Products/Production
- In conjunction with the Chef, plans the ingredient preparation to meet sales volume for the operation
- Ensures products are made to specification including appearance, cooking and taste
- Responsible for portion control and proper serving techniques
- Responsible for ongoing review and upgrading of service, product and menus
- Works from bids with purchasing manager to ensure best buys on purchases
- Coordinates all product cuts and new food item purchases with the Director
- Maintains adequate inventory levels.
- Develops and maintains relationships with vendors, brokers and sales representatives to obtain equipment and best prices on purchases
- Monitors inventory trends and bring in new menu items in a timely manner
- Creates promotions to increases customer counts and revenue
- Organizes areas to ensure ease of operation.
- Maintains cleanliness/sanitation standards set by the department
- Conducts preventive maintenance inspections and ensures that routine maintenance areis performed.
- Responsible for employee development and training in proper safety and sanitation methods and techniques.
- Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
- Coordinates cleaning schedules for all employees.
- Assists in the coordination and supervision of shutdown periods, including extensive cleanup operations.
- Responsible for the timely reporting of all accidents and/or injuries, following proper procedures.
- Reviews facilities and equipment to include redesign for maximum service and profitability.
- Makes recommendations to Director of Dining Services as appropriate.
- Reviews facilities and equipment to include routine maintenance and repair, replacement and upgrading.
- Attractively markets and merchandises products and services to customers.
- Develops consistent signage, effective product displays and product promotions.
- Assures that high quality standards are maintained throughout the operating hours, including food quality, dining room appearance, and sanitation standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, food management or related field; or equivalent
combination of education and experience to match educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- At least 4 years of related experience and at least 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Supervisory and leadership experience in commercial or university retail operations.
- Nutritional background preferred but not required
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to define and implement effective solutions to problems as they arise.
- Possess good time management and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Understanding of accounting procedures, including costing and menu pricing processes.
- Appreciation for and ability to perform exceptional customer service and instill this quality in subordinates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to interact with a diverse group of constituents.
- General knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures and inventory techniques.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance and calibration techniques.
- Ability to work effectively in a strong service-oriented environment with frequently changing priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality in food procurement, production and services.
- General knowledge of marketing and merchandising techniques.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently, demonstrating
initiative and creativity.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be flexible on schedule to work nights, weekend s and/or special events as directed by the department Directors
- Must complete the University’s Hazard Communication program
- Food Service Manager Certification required by the State of California
Tools & Equipment Used:
Ovens, slicers, all kitchen equipment, personal computer, and general office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume, Cover Letter Required and Professional References
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. Please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. In addition, please provide 3 professional references and their contact information. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org