Position Title & Department:
| One Stop Counselor; One Stop Student Center
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The One Stop Counselor will provide unparalleled service to both internal and external customers for all of the cross-functional campus business transactions. Generally, “cross-functional campus business transactions” include all transactional services of the offices of the registrar, student accounts, and financial aid. This position will be regularly called upon to use independent judgment to advise and resolve student issues in each of the above areas.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide unsurpassed internal and external customer service via walk-in traffic, phone, and email by demonstrating effective listening, diplomacy, availability, and timely response to all inquiries.
- Serve as a student advocate for resolution of registration, student account, and financial aid issues.
- Make every attempt to be the student’s only stop to resolve his or her issue.
- Seek assistance from partner offices once all resources have been exhausted.
- Act as liaison between student or parent and offices of the registrar, student accounts, and financial aid.
- Holistically review all student issues.
- Proactively educate students on the implications of decisions made.
- Advise students about student loans, promissory notes, student debt, the verification process, and other complex business issues.
- Educate students how to use the MySanDiego portal to handle routine transactions from any computer.
- Support the Enrollment Management unit’s service expectations.
- Analyze the daily activities of the department and make recommendations for improvement in our service to the customer.
- With cooperation, training, and support from the partner offices:
- Enforce university policies with regard to registration, student accounts, and financial aid.
- Use professional judgment to review appeals of financial aid, late fees, registration issues, and other adjustments or issues that arise within any business aspect of the student’s education.
- Set-up satisfactory payment arrangements with students that will keep them registered while protecting the cash flow of the university.
- Use professional judgment in combination with university policy in the resolution of holds on students’ accounts regardless of the source of the hold.
- Attend meetings with other departments and student organizations that will shape policies and procedures for the department.
- Make presentations to these areas to explain the mission and objectives of the one stop department.
- Represent the one stop at a variety of student facing events.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of experience in a customer service position. Additional experience may substitute for the degree requirement.
- Excellent customer service skills including, but not limited to, listening, oral communication, and empathy.
- Experience with ERP systems and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to make decisions independently after careful review of data.
- Able to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Presentation and speaking skills.
- Analytical skills for decision making.
- Ability to multi-task including excellent organization skills.
- Must support and represent the mission of the university.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Higher education customer service experience preferably in the registrar, student accounts, or financial aid department.
- Experience with the Banner student system.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Excellent internal and external customer service skills including, but not limited to, listening, oral and written communication, and empathy.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Ability to present to small and large groups.
- Flexibility and openness to change.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, staff, administrators, students, and parents.
Tools & Equipment Used:
- Personal computer; scanners, fax, copiers, printers, calculator, queue system.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5; 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday- Friday; 8:30 am - 6:00 pm Wednesdays on a rotating basis; after hours and weekend work/presentations depending on the department needs
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.