Adjunct Faculty, Online Master of Science in Applied Artificial Intelligence Program
Posting #: 2723
Position Status: Faculty, Part-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering, Faculty
Position Title & Department:
| Adjunct Faculty, Online Master of Science in Applied Artificial Intelligence Program
The University of San Diego's Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering does more than develop world-class engineers and computer scientists in a nationally recognized program. We help these bright minds develop into Changemakers with the global perspective, social awareness and leadership skills to make a difference in the world. We cater to the students who, as kids, aimed to build something more complex than the picture on the Lego box. Here, those who challenge convention can become successful professionals who leave a positive mark on their world.
The Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering at the University of San Diego is seeking qualified Artificial Intelligence professionals to teach in USD’s online Master of Science in Applied Artificial Intelligence (MS-AAI) program beginning in January 2021. This program is fully online and does not require candidates to live in San Diego. USD is a designated changemaker campus and prides on our commitment to student engagement and success.
Candidates with experience in all areas of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning will be considered. Preference will be given to candidates who can develop and teach classes in the areas of neural networks and deep learning, computer vision, probability and statistics for AI, applications of AI and big data, data analytics and internet of things. Candidates with prior teaching and industrial experience in these specific areas are highly encouraged to apply. Our program is unique and one of its kind in the nation with a significant focus on applied real world problem solving in AI that integrates ethics, moral responsibility, and social good. Instructors are expected to integrate their industrial and research expertise into course development and teaching.
Adjunct Online Instructor Duties and Responsibilities
- Commitment to teaching excellence.
- Embrace the Vision and Mission of the University of San Diego.
- Adhere to the Core Values of academic excellence, knowledge, community, ethical conduct and compassionate service at USD.
- Uphold standards of student academic performance and academic integrity.
- Master’s degree or higher in artificial intelligence, computer science, statistics, electrical and computer engineering, or a related field.
- Industrial or research experience in AI.
- Experience with online instruction at the university level preferred.
- Proven ability to actively engage students.
- Demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive environment.
- Experience developing online content is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Preference will be given to candidates with prior teaching experience in higher education and relevant Industrial experience. The MS-AAI program is delivered through the Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) therefore, familiarly with Blackboard LMS is highly desirable. The class sizes are small with no more than 25 students in a section. The responsibilities for the position include course development on Blackboard LMS and teaching. Teaching responsibilities include facilitation and grading of discussion forums, active student engagement, managing student issues, and providing feedback and grading on student assignments and exams. Adjunct instructors are required to be engaged in their section a minimum of four days per week and offer weekly virtual office hours. Adjunct instructors will be supported by the Academic Program Director, Director of Online Degree Planning and Operations, and Program Coordinator throughout teaching the course. Training on the LMS and course development process will be provided.
Online Course Development* (if applicable) Requirements
- Commit to a 17-week course development timeline.
- Meet weekly with instructional designer and technologist from Learning Design Center (LDC) to design and develop online course(s).
- Design original content to include:
- Module learning outcomes.
- Content narrative and exposition (written, audio, or video formats are acceptable).
- Self-study assignments.
- Discussion questions.
- Grading rubrics.
- Final project / paper.
- Other components as needed (interviews, commentaries, simulations, etc.).
*Course development is compensated separately from teaching.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Consistent with the university's part-time faculty compensation rates.
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete your online application and, for full consideration, please upload the following documents to your application profile for review:
- Cover Letter describing your commitment to teaching and how your experience, qualifications, research, and interests have prepared you to teach in the MS AAI program.
- Resume or CV that includes a list of courses taught, your role in those courses, and relevant industrial or research experience in AI.
- Three professional references with contact information.
Contact: Ramesh Rajagopalan - firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend