Position Title & Department:
| Technology Department Manager; Bookstore
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This Technology Department Manager supervises, plans, organizes, and oversees the operations and functions of the Technology Department, is responsible for purchasing all technology related products, and develops marketing strategies to achieve sales
and service goals; maintains and ensures a high level of customer service.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes and oversees the operations of the USD Torero Store Technology Dept.
- Responsible for purchasing all computer hardware, software, peripherals, accessories, electronics, etc.
- Maintain Apple SEED training at professional-level. Use SEED to build knowledge and stay up to date on Apple products, solutions, and services.
- Ensure part time and student workers are maintaining SEED levels as required by Apple contract.
- Responsible for meeting departmental budget.
- Develop, maintain, and evaluate key vendor relationships.
- Work closely building relationships and marketing strategies with all departments on campus.
- With the supervision and direction of the Torero Store Director develop marketing strategy to ensure and maintain proper levels of inventory, and product mix.
- Negotiate with vendors to obtain best cost to ensure competitive retail store pricing; and coordinate marketing with vendors.
- Consult and assist customers to determine proper product selection. Able to demonstrate use of hardware, software, and related products and equipment.
- Assures services and products in the Technology Department meet campus needs in a cost-efficient manner.
- Provide pre-sale and ongoing post-sale support for the customer.
- Assist in updating products and pricing on e-commerce site, updating and modifying HTML, POS systems and other technology systems on a continual basis.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate part time and student employees assigned to the computer department.
- Maintain accurate Point-of-Sale database, e-commerce and other supporting systems. 16) Plan and implement ongoing in-store and on-line promotions.
- Prepares department for annual physical inventory.
- Assist with planning and implementation of employee meetings.
- Cross-train other Torero Store employees to assist with staffing in Technology Department.
- Become familiar with other departments within the store and provide operational support when required.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum three-years of experience working with computers or computer sales in a retail environment.
- Minimum two-years experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Completed professional-level Apple SEED training.
- Demonstrated experience working with a Point-of-Sale systems
- Demonstrate proficiency in micro soft programs or comparable Apple products
- Demonstrated experience in a high volume retail or college bookstore.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Technical background in Apple and PC computers is required.
- Broad knowledge of computer industry including computer hardware, software, peripherals, operating systems, etc.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills – The ability to interact effectively with customers, vendors, co-workers, and the campus community.
- Superior organizational skills, including tracking of inventory, purchase orders, returns, reseller agreements, etc.
- Knowledge of retail math including budgetary and sales goals, gross margins, turns, net profit, etc.
- Able to handle multiple situations simultaneously in an ever-changing environment and to prioritize work for oneself.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- A strong record of demonstrating the following characteristics; personal integrity and accountability, commitment to teamwork, commitment to quality and excellence in the workplace, trustworthiness in relationships, broad institutional motivation, focus and people development.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be available to work nights and weekends as needed. To include but not be limited to during move-in weekend and special events.
Tools & Equipment Used:
- Computer and systems
- Power Point
- Google suite
- Cash register and POS system
- Telephone, fax, copier, calculator and general office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 40; M-F 8:30am - 5:00pm with weekends and nights as needed
Closing date: July 24, 2020
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.