Professor of Practice and Director of the Data Science Center
Posting #: 2621
Position Status: Faculty, Full-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering, Faculty
Position Title & Department:
| Professor of Practice and Director of the Data Science Center; Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering
The University of San Diego's Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering does more than develop world-class engineers and computer scientists in a nationally recognized program. We help these bright minds develop into Changemakers with the global perspective, social awareness and leadership skills to make a difference in the world. We cater to the students who, as kids, aimed to build something more complex than the picture on the Lego box. Here, those who challenge convention can become successful professionals who leave a positive mark on their world.
The University of San Diego (USD) seeks to hire a Professor of Practice and Director of the Data Science Center to help with the development of new curricula in data science. Under the supervision of the Dean of Engineering and guided by a data science advisory board, the experienced data science professional will work with the computer science department, as well as other USD departments, to develop curricula, such as a data science minor, that would be applicable to many of USD’s undergraduate level students. Other courses may also be developed that enhance applied interdisciplinary data science learning for students including professional master's level students. Additional engagement may include industry partner outreach and project mentoring, and applied data science research.
USD is developing an interdisciplinary applied data science curriculum. We hope to also develop an Applied Data Science Center (ADSC) to address many of the challenges and opportunities that are inherent in an increasingly data-intensive society. We are particularly interested in developing leadership in applied data science applications, data ethics, data ownership, data privacy, and issues of fairness in data science and machine learning. The center will likely partner with other USD centers (e.g., The Cyber Security Engineering Center, The Center for Ethics, Economics, and Public Policy, The Center for Peace and Commerce, among others) and with faculty across the university to help bring data science and machine learning expertise to all.
The successful candidate will participate in some or all of the following activities:
- Help develop the applied data science curriculum including an undergraduate minor and masters level professional courses;
- Teach data science and/or machine learning to appropriate students and/or university partners
- Participate in developing strategic directions and implementation plan of an ADSC;
- Assist in attracting additional ADSC team members;
- Mentor others across the university in developing curriculum and programs related to ADSC;
- Make connections within and between USD and community partners;
- Mentor entrepreneurial teams that are working on prototypes and projects that include data science or machine learning;
- Work with industry partners to identify professional skills development opportunities that USD can help deliver.
The successful candidate will:
- Have expertise in applied data science and analytics fields with strong technical skills;
- Have experience building and leading analytics teams, directing initiatives, and developing new initiatives;
- Demonstrate an ability to work across boundaries and with cross-disciplinary projects;
- Have excellent communication skills – simplify and communicate analytics results to a non-technical audience;
- Ability to work effectively in multiple schools, offices, and programs in higher education environment.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field (engineering, math, statistics, physics)
- Industry experience in data science and analytics fields
- Experience in content development of learning materials
- Experience leading diverse team
- Experience in leading and mentoring junior data scientists
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review.
If you have questions about this position please contact Chell Roberts, Dean of the Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering at email@example.com.
If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend