Position Title & Department:
| Medical Assistant; Student Health Center
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The university seeks an individual with a strong interest in working at a mission driven, faith-based institution. The role of a medical assistant (MA) in working with students and the responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university's contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
The MA performs a variety of medical procedures at a skilled professional level in caring for the students of the University of San Diego. The MA provides essential support service to the physicians, NP’s, PA’s and RN’s by screening patients, and assisting with exams and procedures. Will also assist front desk with patient check-in, check-out, and appointment scheduling. Performs related tasks as required.
Periodically, this position may be asked to contribute to either ad hoc or ongoing division/campus projects outside the scope of their day-to-day activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assess patient’s chief complaint, obtain vital signs, updating patient history. Excel in, EKG’s, O2 sats, and Peak Expiratory Flow Rates. Inputs patient data accurately into the practice management system.
- Performs Point of Care Clia-Waived testing (i.e. glucose, urinalysis, etc.), collects specimens and phlebotomy procedures
- Cares for students requiring first aid and/or routine illnesses not needing a registered nurse, physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner’s attention.
- Assesses immunization status and administers TB screening and immunizations per standing orders.
- Instruct and prepare patients for examination and diagnostic procedures.
- Assist in examination and special procedures to include, but not limited to: injections, diagnostic procedures, minor surgery procedures (i.e. removal of stitches), and other special tasks.
- Respond to phone calls from students who have medical questions. Obtain guidance from RNs, NPs, PA’s or MDs in clinic as needed.
- Ability to handle emergent and/or potentially critical situations with speed, accuracy and diplomacy.
- Maintain the stock, cleanliness and utility of exam rooms, equipment and work areas. Must assure the sterility and safe handling of supplies and equipment. Is responsible for the maintenance of properly functioning equipment.
- Assist RN in performance of all necessary opening and closing procedures.
- Know correct procedure for all medical paperwork and electronic health record including, but not limited to lab work and log sheets, immunization program, drug screening, and special lab tests.Must assure patient privacy at all times and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Must assure the protection of self, patients, and co-workers from undue exposure to infectious diseases, contaminated waste and hazardous materials.
- Blood borne pathogen trained.
- Assist and/or implement the referral process, provide patient education, advise patient on self-care, needed follow up and suggested behaviors as directed.
- Familiarized with duties of the front office to provide backup support for Executive Assistant as needed (i.e.: telephone protocol, scheduling appointments, patient check-in, check-out, etc) to ensure smooth operation of the Health Center.
- At times perform a variety of administrative duties.
- Completion of an accredited training program for Medical Assistants and any related credentials.
- CPR Certificate
- Prior experience as a medical assistant desirable.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Performs all duties in an accurate, thorough, and efficient manner.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Is able to organize workflow to meet the needs of the patient flow.
- Is able to adjust the workflow to meet the most critical needs first.
- Understands and follows USD and SHC policies.
- Understands and displays good general medical knowledge.
- Interpersonal relationships:
- Has good interpersonal skills and is able to communicate effectively at all times.
- Works well with family members, patients and other non-medical personnel.
- Adheres to the highest medico-legal standards of clinical practice.
- Works as a team member, demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the SHC team.
- Upholds the mission of University of San Diego at all times.
- Work habits:
- Shall maintain a clean, neat and professional appearance at all times.
- Consistently meets assigned work schedule.
- Observes appropriate conduct standards.
- Is motivated and shows ambition in performing job duties.
- Recognizes and completes needed projects.
- Uses information systems to solve problems and answer questions.
- Shows emotional stability.
- Deals with difficult situations in a calm and effective manner.
- Knows when to bring a medical problem to the attention of the Nursing Coordinator, Office Manager, Supervising Physician and/or Director.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Upon hire and throughout employment, must meet the criteria for credentialing and privileging as required by the Student Health Center.
Employment is conditioned on the University’s approval of employment following its acceptance of the results of a criminal background investigation. Regardless of whether a candidate has commenced working, the University reserves the right to rescind any offer of employment at any time should the results of a background investigation be unacceptable to the University.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Medical equipment, such as used for venipuncture, electrocardiography, vital signs, pulmonary treatments, and others as needed. Telephone, fax, copier, scanner, personal computer (PC environment), general office software applications, (Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Google Mail, Google Drive) and specific electronic health record software program (Point and Click) as well as the University’s student database (Banner), calculator, printer, electric time/date stamp, electronic signature pad, self-check in Kiosks.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$16.46 - $23.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday, varies
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.