The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Executive Assistant serves as general administrative support and key point of contact for the Office of Admissions and Student Services. The incumbent communicates extensively with prospective graduate students, and individuals from the community, faculty, staff and students in the Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science, as well as faculty and staff on a campus-wide basis. Represents the Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science and the Office of Admissions and Student Services through telephone, personal, e-mail and paper correspondence, responding to questions and inquiries relating to nursing admissions, departmental operations and projects. Coordinates recruitment events and marketing initiatives under the direction of the Director of Admissions and Student Services. Manages all office documents, visitors, and student and personnel matters in the strictest of confidentiality. Receives supervision from the Director of Admissions and Student Services. This position occasionally supervises student workers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
General Administrative Support of the Director:
- Answer and screen phone calls and drop-in visits made to the Office of Admissions and Student Services
- Schedule prospective and current student appointments with the Director
- Event space and room scheduling for both the HSON and BINR (EMS)
- Assist with preparation for meetings and presentations (e.g., draft agenda, make copies, create packets, create and update PowerPoint presentations).
- Process and distribute various correspondence initiated by the Director
- Open and sort mail during the Director’s absence and respond as appropriate
- Coordinate recruitment travel calendar and make travel arrangements for the Director of Admissions and Student Services
- Order supplies, equipment, and promotional materials
- Monitor and organize nursing academic marketing brochures and inserts inventory
- Maintain all admission documents and student records for the nursing programs -
- Recruitment/Marketing/Prospective Students Process
- Inquiry Communication Processs
- Respond to inquiries made by prospective students/applicants and manage prospect follow-up
- Create and send inquiry information packets Perform data entry and manage prospective student database
- Assist with developing and executing multimedia marketing and advertising campaigns for recruitment events and initiatives for the Office of Admissions and Student Services.
- Proofread marketing materials, ads, promotional materials, and articles.
- Event Coordination
- Assist the Director of Admissions and Student Services serving as the event coordinator for nursing information sessions, open houses and recruitment events (e.g., room reservation, catering, obtain mailing lists, distribute and send invitations, post events online, send e-mails to targeted listservs, handle registration, create name tags, create informational packets/promotional materials, setup/clean up
- Assist with off-campus recruitment event preparation including the preparation and shipment of materials for graduate school fairs and conferences.
- Attend recruitment events (including graduate school fairs) as needed.
- Respond to applicant questions about programs and application process
- Create and maintain applicant files
- Create and maintain applicant databases
- Enter student applicant data in applicant databases
- Forward files to Director for evaluation
- Prepare and send various applicant correspondence
- Prepare and processes School of Nursing financial aid award letters
- Maintain financial aid spreadsheet data and run reports utilizing Excel
- Reconcile awards and track fund balances
- Assist the Director in resolving procedural problems regarding aid/billing posting
Maintenance of Student Records, Database and List Serve:
- Record changes in student details in the student database (i.e. name change, address change, etc.
- Record changes in student status in the student database (i.e. Leave of Absence LOA), forwards documentation to Graduate Records and follows up when students return from LOA, processes LOA continuations or subsequent withdrawals
- Maintain all student files
- Moderate uses of List Serve and messages addressed to List Serve
Navy Duty Under Instruction Scholarship (DUINS) Program:
- Create, process and monitor curriculum plans for Navy DUINS applicants
- Create, process and monitor cost quotes for enrolled Navy DUINS students
- Serve as liaison to commanding offices in Washington, D.C.
- High school degree and 3-5 years of administrative/admission
experience required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Intermediate to advanced computer and word-processing skills (Microsoft Office Word, Access, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Must process strong organization skills with attention to detail and the ability to prioritize workload effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively, pleasantly and articulately (oral and written communication)
- Excellent phone skills
- Proven ability to work independently without supervision
- Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to work in a busy environment of regular interruptions, multiple projects with high customer service standards
- Mature, positive attitude and team player
- Display consistent, professional punctuality and attendance record
- Proven ability to follow through on projects and to work with minimal supervision
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
- Understanding and commitment to the mission and purpose of USD as a private, Catholic, liberal arts based University.
- Knowledge of university policies and procedure (preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
1. Must be fluent in word processing, database and spreadsheet software, including Microsoft Office Suite
2. Applications and internal database management systems, including internet and email.
3. Ability to use software and implement programs to create and enhance existing databases, spreadsheets and tracking systems.
4. Ability to analyze reports, summarizing and presenting information from the database.
5. Knowledge of Banner and Salesforce preferred.
6. Attend necessary professional development and job-related training
Special Conditions of Employment:
Must be able to work flexible hours including occasional early morning, evening and weekends.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$23.00-$24.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; 9 am to 5 pm, Monday - Friday
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.