The university seeks an individual with a strong interest in working at a mission driven, faith-based institution. The role of a medical assistant (MA) in working with students and the responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university's contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
The MA performs a variety of medical procedures at a skilled professional level in caring for the students of the University of San Diego. The MA provides essential support service to the physicians, NP’s, PA’s and RN’s by screening patients, and assisting with exams and procedures. Will also assist front desk with patient check-in, check-out, and appointment scheduling. Performs related tasks as required.
Periodically, this position may be asked to contribute to either ad hoc or ongoing division/campus projects outside the scope of their day-to-day activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Assess patient’s chief complaint, obtain vital signs, updating patient history. Excel in, EKG’s, O2 sats, and Peak Expiratory Flow Rates. Inputs patient data accurately into the practice management system.
2. Performs Point of Care Clia-Waived testing (i.e. glucose, urinalysis, etc.), collects specimens and phlebotomy procedures
3. Cares for students requiring first aid and/or routine illnesses not needing a registered nurse, physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner’s attention.
4. Assesses immunization status and administers TB screening and immunizations per standing orders.
5. Instruct and prepare patients for examination and diagnostic procedures.
6. Assist in examination and special procedures to include, but not limited to: injections, diagnostic procedures, minor surgery procedures (i.e. removal of stitches), and other special tasks.
7. Respond to phone calls from students who have medical questions. Obtain guidance from RNs, NPs, PA’s or MDs in clinic as needed.
8. Ability to handle emergent and/or potentially critical situations with speed, accuracy and diplomacy.
9. Maintain the stock, cleanliness and utility of exam rooms, equipment and work areas. Must assure the sterility and safe handling of supplies and equipment. Is responsible for the maintenance of properly functioning equipment.
10. Assist RN in performance of all necessary opening and closing procedures.
11. Know correct procedure for all medical paperwork and electronic health record including, but not limited to lab work and log sheets, immunization program, drug screening, and special lab tests. Must assure patient privacy at all times and maintain patient confidentiality.
12. Must assure the protection of self, patients, and co-workers from undue exposure to infectious diseases, contaminated waste and hazardous materials.
13. Blood borne pathogen trained.
1. Assist and/or implement the referral process, provide patient education, advise patient on self-care, needed follow up and suggested behaviors as directed.
2. Familiarized with duties of the front office to provide backup support for Executive Assistant as needed (i.e.: telephone protocol, scheduling appointments, patient check-in, check-out, etc) to ensure smooth operation of the Health Center.
3. At times perform a variety of administrative duties.