Associate University Chaplain; University Ministry
Posting #: 2341
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Mission and Ministry, Administrator
Position Title & Department:
| Associate University Chaplain; University Ministry
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The University of San Diego is searching for an ordained Catholic priest in good standing with his local Ordinary and/or Religious Superior to join the University Ministry team beginning in July of 2020. Primary duties will include liturgical and Sacramental ministries, pastoral counseling and spiritual direction, and collaboration with the ministry team to support the spiritual development of USD community members. For more information or to apply, please visit www.sandiego.edu/jobs
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Daily and weekly liturgical and Sacramental ministries; assisting with the planning, presiding and evaluating of liturgical celebrations.
- Pastoral counseling and spiritual direction to USD students and employees
- Assisting with retreats and other programs sponsored by the office of University Ministry
- Ordained Catholic priest
- Good standing with their local Ordinary or Religious Superior
- Masters of Divinity Degree or a Master of Arts Degree in a closely related field
- Two years of Campus Ministry experience or 5 years of ministry experience in other settings
- At least 5 years of Campus Ministry experience in a university setting
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Rigorous theological education and ability to communicate theological, catechetical and spiritual concepts to undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to collaborate effectively and creatively as a member of a team
- Sufficient initiative and confidence to work individually
- Demonstrated proficiency with facilitating group discussions, group reflections and faith sharing group activities
- Extensive knowledge of Catholic faith and practice
- Knowledge of student development issues
- Ability to work and minister effectively in a diverse and inclusive environment
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 40 hours per week; variable, evenings and weekends
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend