Position Title & Department:
| Law Reference Librarian - Student Services & Technology; Legal Research Center
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
As a member of the public services and reference teams, provides research and reference services to all LRC patrons. Presents training and instruction in the use of legal research tools in all formats, including teaching legal research in the first year Legal Writing and Research (LWR) classes, seminars, clinics, and advanced legal research courses. Creates and updates training materials, tracks new developments in legal education and practical skills training, and actively participates in the reference team’s efforts to provide excellent legal research instruction. Assists in the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of research and reference services, policies, and procedures. Participates in collection development including the assessment of subscription databases. Oversees and coordinates student services and technology services. Supervises circulation staff and student assistants in the absence of other professional staff. Takes on and oversees projects as assigned.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversees management and content of the LRC’s website
- Works closely with electronic services specialist to keep LRC website up to date
- Serves as point of contact for Lexis and Westlaw vendor representatives
- Troubleshoots database access issues in conjunction with vendors and other LRC and campus departments
- Keeps abreast of emerging technologies and informs colleagues about legal technology issues
- Manages the LRC’s social media accounts
- Offers reference service during regularly scheduled reference desk hours, including some evening and weekend hours; follows up on responses to inquiries that cannot be completed during shifts at the desk.
- Provides assistance in legal research methods to faculty and students; assists patrons in the use of resources in all formats.
- Serves in rotation on professional development committee and campus library committees as assigned.
- Participates in collection development decisions.
- Presents training and instruction in the use of legal research tools in all formats, including teaching legal research in first year LWR courses, seminars, and clinics.
- Teaches advanced legal research classes as assigned.
- Creates and updates training materials.
- Tracks new developments in legal education and practical skills training.
- Actively participates in the reference team’s efforts to provide excellent legal research instruction.
- Conducts law student outreach, including attending law student events, communicating with student organizations, and coordinating with the Office of Law Student Affairs
- Organizes LRC events to improve student engagement
- Conducts research to respond to patron research requests.
- Produces research and informational guides and training materials.
- Oversees electronic services specialist’s management of the LRC’s website.
- Supervises circulation staff and student assistants in the absence of other professional staff.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- M.L.S. degree from an ALA-accredited library school, to be completed no later than 6 months after hire date
- Website maintenance experience
- Law library experience (academic setting strongly preferred)
- Supervisory experience
- Public services experience
- Reference experience
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of all forms of information technology used in a law library, including but not limited to, course management systems, bibliographic utilities, integrated library systems, document delivery systems, LibGuides, and other computer technology and software systems.
- Knowledge of legal research methods and legal reference work
- Demonstrated teaching ability
- Knowledge of legal research methods as taught in U.S. law schools
- Understanding of educational methods, goals and mission of higher education as they apply to public services in an ABA-accredited law school library
- Expert knowledge and skill in the use of Westlaw, Lexis, and Bloomberg Law
- Ability to effectively train others in the use of Westlaw, Lexis, and Bloomberg Law
- Knowledge of all forms of information technology used in legal research and instruction
- Knowledge of web maintenance tools and methods
- Basic knowledge of network technology and telecommunications
- Strong interpersonal skills and team-building orientation
- Strong problem-solving ability, initiative to take appropriate action independently
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and writing skills
- Initiative and aptitude for planning, development, and technology
Tools & Equipment Used:
- Desktop and laptop computers (PC & Mac), LCD projector, telephone, fax, scanner, printer, and other related office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closing date: March 27, 2020
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.