The School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES) at the University of San Diego believes in academic excellence, innovation, and a strong commitment to equity and inclusion. We educate, engage, model, mentor, and challenge the campus community to promote social justice and ignite meaningful change in our diverse society.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Director of Professional Learning is a senior administrator in the Jacobs Institute, overseeing all aspects of Professional Learning services, including but not limited to, direction of our new Certificate in Educational Innovation program, EDInnovateLive (our annual conference), workshops and other professional learning programs and events. This is an exciting ground-floor opportunity to spearhead our new Professional Learning services in partnership with the Executive Director. We are seeking candidates that are agile, have an innovator and entrepreneurial mindset, a learner-centered focus, and an emphasis on team and partnership development with a background in building and scaling online and blended programs in higher education.
This role will lead strategic and budgetary planning to build capacity in Professional Learning, develop new lines of business, and foster and scale the Jacobs Institute's learning community. The Director of Professional Learning will also be committed to providing quality service-oriented learning experiences through regular evaluation of participant feedback, identifying program improvements, and coaching and mentoring the professional learning team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Leadership and Professional Learning Core Services
- Works closely with the Executive Director and Assistant Director of Administration and Operations on annual goals and objectives, projections, staffing, and budgeting for professional learning initiatives.
- Guides PL Team and adjunct instructors in the design and evaluation of professional learning experiences.
- Oversees the timely creation of high quality PL content including courses, trainings, proposals and budgets, reports, conference submittals, articles, white papers and other deliverables. Team Leadership, Training, and Mentoring.
- In coordination with the Institute’s Administrative team, coordinates hiring and recruitment of PL Team members.
- Oversees performance development cycles for the PL team and conducts goal setting, coaching and feedback meetings as well as annual reviews.
- Encourages a culture of innovation and provides ongoing mentoring, feedback, motivation and recognition for the PL team.
- Identifies and encourages team members to participate in professional development opportunities to build the collective capacity of the organization.
- Develops and guides collaborative PL team meetings.
- Networking, Outreach and Business Development.
- Establishes a national footprint for the PL team through attendance at national conferences and other industry-related events.
- Establishes and cultivates relationships and partnerships within peer organizations, school districts and the business community.
- Works in collaboration with the USD, SOLES, and Institute communications staff to increase visibility of PL projects.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director and Business & Partnership Develop Strategist to cultivate relationships with clients and prospective clients and attract and secure funding for professional learning projects.
- Engages SOLES faculty to partner on Institute PL projects.
- Remains current with professional readings and research in the learning sciences.
- Develops relevant content to contribute to the Institute’s blog and social media platforms. Institute Leadership.
- Serves on the Institute’s Leadership Team to strategize the growth and development of the Institute’s services and initiatives.
- Provides regular briefings to the Executive Director.
- Serves on Institute, SOLES and/or university committees as assigned.
- Represents the Institute in a professional manner in all activities.
- Complete projects or tasks—large and small—as needed to advance the work of the Institute.
- Provides strategic consulting on vision and priorities with district superintendents, principals, and teacher leaders.
- Facilitates personalized professional learning for districts aligned with their vision for teaching and learning.
DEVELOP TOOLS, RESOURCES, AND NEW SERVICES:
- Develops and/or modifies the Institute’s professional learning models, resources, materials and frameworks based on research and best practices.
- Collaborates with Research and Evaluation team on the development of Institute tools and resources.
- Collaborates with other team Directors on the development of new initiatives and core services.
This is a full-time, temporary, benefit based position with an assignment end date of June 30, 2020.
- Master’s degree in education, educational technology, learning sciences or a related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years of leadership experience developing and scaling educational programs in higher education.
- In-depth knowledge of current learner-centered models, online and blended programs, and transformative technology practices in K-higher ed environments.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and write professional publications, training materials, grants and reports.
- Experience with public speaking and presenting to various social, cultural, economic and education backgrounds
- Doctoral degree in education, educational technology, learning sciences or a related field.
- Entrepreneurial experience.
- Knowledge of K-12 education, its policy and practice.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of national and international professional learning market conditions and ability to determine strategic education sector.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The appointment is renewable at the discretion of the University and dependent upon performance and continued funding.
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check is required after a contingent offer of employment is made. The contingent offer may be finalized once the background investigation has been completed and the results accepted by the university.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.