This is a part-time, temporary position with an anticipated assignment end date of June 21, 2020.
The University of San Diego's Copley library seeks an energetic and enthusiastic Weekend Supervisor. This individual represents management in Copley Library on weekends. He/She is responsible for all access services while on duty and provides excellent customer service to faculty, staff, students, and other library users.
Reporting to the Access and Outreach Services Librarian, the Weekend Supervisor is responsible for all aspects of the operation of the Copley Library building. Maintains a professional, positive demeanor at all times, and provides excellent customer service to faculty, staff, students, and other library users.
He/she works with other Access Services staff members and student assistants. The Weekend Supervisor manages all Access Services Desk activities. He/she assists with re-shelving books and processing request for Express Books, San Diego Circuit/ILL and reserves as needed. This individual serves as liaison between Copley Library and USD Public Safety on all incidents and those dealing with difficult patrons.
Other duties related to the building include: maintaining a quiet study atmosphere in Copley Library, monitoring the library environment until closing to ensure safety and smooth operation of library services, and securing the library and setting alarm before leaving building. He/she must have the ability to work independently and as a team member and to solve problems during times when working alone. Enforces and follows library policies.
This individual may be the sole library staff member on duty, having functional responsibility for the entire library and all equipment, including computers. He/she works up to 19 hours each weekend including Friday 5pm-9pm and an additional 7.5 hours on Saturday and Sunday according to the hours advertised. He/she must have the ability to work Friday evenings and weekends. He/she must have the ability to work alternative weekend hours for two weeks each semester during our 24/7 study period. Background check: Successful completion of a preemployment background check, to include social security verification and federal/county criminal check.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Maintains a staff supervisor presence at the Access Services Desk
• Oversees the Access Services Desk area and provides circulation assistance to patrons on weekends
• Trains, supervises, and evaluates student workers in carrying out job assignments
• Assists student employees in implementing system functions for which student staff are not authorized
• Ensures that patrons are served and telephones answered
• Ensures the confidentiality of patron records in accordance with applicable laws
• Enforces and follows library policies
• Works with all parts of the Innovative OPAC and Circulation Modules
• Assists patrons with the operation of all equipment, e.g., copiers, microform readers/printers, campus cash, and computers
• Assists in processing hold request for items needed by patrons
Responsible for opening, closing and alarming the library over the weekend
• Follows the opening, closing and alarming procedures
• Opens doors, locks doors and closes windows throughout the library after patrons and staff have left
• Turns off lights, copiers, etc.
Responsible for the library's safety and security when on duty
• Ensures full compliance with all safety measures
• Serves as the liaison between Copley Library and USD Public Safety on all mishaps, incidents, and difficult patrons when on duty
• Trains evening staff and students for emergency or disaster preparedness in coordination with the library safety representative
• Reports usual events or problems to USD Public Safety and immediate supervisors
Assists the Access and Outreach Services Librarian with overall weekend operation
• Recommends changes with consideration for weekend operations
• Assists with coordinating assignment completion of student assistants on weekend shifts
• Assists to improve circulation services by soliciting feedback and suggestions from the weekend patron groups
• Collects and analyzes statistics and reports on weekend operations
• Other duties as assigned