At La Paloma enjoy globally inspired, simple, sustainable, local food for your mind and body. Our Mission. A remodel of this popular cafe allowed for a more in-depth, sustainable menu, improved traffic flow, additional seating and lively décor. The menu is innovative yet simple, with sustainable, local food at its core. Indoor and outdoor seating is available and includes communal tables, banquettes and seating for individual diners.
Bert's Bistro: This spacious bistro at the west-end of campus offers beautiful views of Mission Bay. Enjoy our outdoor barbeque and smoker, sandwiches, hand-rolled sushi, soup, salads, and an espresso and tea bar featuring local, alumni-owned, organic Ryan Bros. Coffee.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Responsible for the coordination and execution of the functional operation of La Paloma and Bert’s Bistro. The manager is responsible for training, coordinating and evaluating the work of the production staff. This position is responsible for assisting in purchasing, recipe and product development. They will assist in the development of departmental goals. They will plan, develop and supervise a team using a comprehensive menu management program. Ensure overall consistency and high quality across the operations; plan menus based on such factors as market trends, customer preferences and nutritional considerations; design recipes, determine appropriate ingredients and specify individual serving portion for each recipe. Develop menus in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints; participate in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development. This position receives general supervision from the Director of Dining Services and Executive Director of Auxiliary Services. This position exercises Close supervision of Unit Leader, full time employees, and seasonal part-time supervisors and employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Plans ingredient preparation to meet sales volume
• Supervises and ensures the quality and quantity preparation of all menu and specialty items.
• Ensures products are made to specification including appearance, cooking and taste
• Responsible for portion control and proper serving techniques
• Responsible for ongoing review and upgrading of service, product and menus
• Works from bids to ensure best buys on purchases.
• Coordinates all product cuts and new food item purchases with the Purchasing Manager and the Director of Dining Services
• Maintains adequate inventory levels
• Develops and maintains relationships with vendors, brokers, and sales representatives to obtain equipment and best prices on purchases
• Monitors inventory trends and bring in new menu items in a timely manner
• Creates promotions to increases customer counts and revenue.
• Conducts accurate monthly inventories
• Controls use of labor through effective scheduling, proper training and supervision
• Reviews manpower needs, evaluates labor costs and proposes new staff positions as needed
• Assists in the compilation of expense figures for monthly statements of operation
• Assists in the preparation of monthly statements.
• Identifies deviations from desired results and develops and executes corrective action plans.
• Ensures proper monthly billing of all department charges
• Enforces proper cash handling procedures; ensures accurate and timely deposits
• Maintains proper security of all areas, equipment and food products.
• Enforces policies and procedures for proper operation of the Micros POS system
• Assists in creating budgets
• Maintains financial spreadsheets
• Assists in the evaluation, development and implementation of proper policies and procedures for all campus restaurants
• In conjunction with the Director of Dining Services and the Executive Director of Auxiliary Services evaluates, develops and implements policies and procedures for the department.
• Assists in establishing and maintaining goals and assists in setting goals for the department.
• Delegates responsibility and authority as appropriate to meet operational goals and objectives.
• Assures compliance with Auxiliary Services policies and procedures.
• Develops part-time job descriptions.
• Responds to employee complaints.
• Promotes teamwork among leaders and staff.
• Develops and maintains communication with staff.
• Develops and implements programs for employee recognition.
• Conducts thorough interviews on potential employees; researches all references
• Selects employees to ensure adequate staffing levels.
• Ensures that Human Resources paperwork for part-time employees is completed in a timely manner.
• Recommends employees for promotion; participates in the selection of supervisors.
• Develops goals and incentives within units to increase revenue
• Conducts new employee orientation.
• Teaches employees non-negotiable standards of performance.
• Develops and conducts individual and group training sessions and gives instruction to employees to meet job requirements.
• Informs employees of policy and procedure changes.
• Sets a positive example for employees.
• Provides opportunities for staff development.
• Observes employee performance.
• Takes corrective action to ensure acceptable employee performance and documents as appropriate.
• Provides both positive and corrective feedback to employees regarding performance and goals.
• Conducts formal performance reviews.
• Responsible for the supervision, training, discipline and evaluation of full-time employees.
• Assists in periodically updating employee training manuals for the department
• Ensures prompt, friendly service.
• Staffs dining areas to meet projected sales and/or customer counts.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining good customer relations with other areas of Auxiliary Services and the University community.
• Fosters an environment of customer awareness by staff.
• Responds to customer input through dining room contacts, customer comment cards. Text and Tell program and supervisor’s log
• Attends conferences and/or workshops that will benefit operation of units.
Safety and Sanitation:
• Organizes areas to ensure ease of operation
• Conducts preventive maintenance inspections and ensures that routine maintenance is performed.
• Responsible for employee development and training in proper safety and sanitation methods and techniques and verifies employee sanitation and Hazmat certification.
• Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
• Coordinates cleaning schedules for full-time and part-time employees.
• Assists in the coordination and supervision of shutdown periods, including extensive cleanup operations.
• Responsible for the timely reporting of all accidents and/or injuries, following proper procedures.
• Reviews facilities and equipment to include redesign for maximum service and profitability.
• Makes recommendations to Director of Dining Services as appropriate.
• Reviews facilities and equipment to include routine maintenance and repair, replacement and upgrading.
• Attractively markets and merchandises products and services to customers.
• Develops consistent signage, effective product displays and product promotions.
• Assures that high quality standards are maintained throughout the operating hours, including food quality, dining room appearance, and sanitation standards.
- Must have a degree in Culinary Arts or Bachelor's degree in institutional management, nutrition, dietetics, or hotel and restaurant management; or equivalent combination of education and experience to match educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- At least 4 years of related experience and at least 2 years of supervisory experience in a high-volume food production environment
- Multi-Unit Supervisory experience preferred.
- Strong leadership, oral and written communication skills are required
- A proven track record of successfully controlling costs and managing annual budgets
- Experience with a computerized menu management system, and knowledge of office and industry software applications is necessary.
- Ability to work flexible and demanding hours.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to define and implement effective solutions to problems as they arise.
- Possess good time management and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Understanding of accounting procedures, including costing and menu pricing processes.
- Appreciation for and ability to perform exceptional customer service and instill this quality in subordinates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to interact with a diverse group of constituents.
- General knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures and inventory techniques.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance and calibration techniques.
- Ability to work effectively in a strong service-oriented environment with frequently changing priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality in food procurement, production and services.
- General knowledge of marketing and merchandising techniques.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently, demonstrating initiative and creativity.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must complete the University’s Hazard Communication program
Tools & Equipment Used:
- Ovens, slicers, all kitchen equipment, personal computer, and general office equipment
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits