The Applications Analyst is a hands-on technical position that is responsible for providing high quality technology solutions to business departments across the University. The position pro-actively implements and takes ownership of system production issues and development projects as assigned by the Manager and Lead Developer. This position will work directly with users to understand their technology needs and will prepare design documents, program, and test technical solutions.
This position will assist in providing oversight for the technical maintenance of the Luminis LifeRay portal, Sharepoint portal, Mobile Platform, smaller vendor applications, and webservices between the various systems using best practices and following Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Systems Analysis and Project Management:
1. Analyze the user requirements document and consult with peers and business users as well as other contacts in the field to provide a well-researched solution using the Luminis Portal along with other integrated ERP technologies such as Ellucian applications, Oracle applications, CBORD applications, Salesforce applications, other smaller applications, Banner Document Management Suite (BDMS), Cognos Reporting and workflow.
2. Work with team to create a project plan with level of detail depending on the complexity of the project, to outline tasks and timeline to implement solution. Execute and regularly update the plan. Notify supervisor of possible delays.
3. Support and provide guidance for Luminis and other portal application upgrades by ensuring thorough testing of new changes as well as existing interfaces etc.
4. Recommend improvements in processes, promote a positive and collaborative environment and communicate concerns in a constructive and timely manner.
5. Pro-actively manage and take ownership of assigned productions issues:
- Issue is properly identified
- Thorough analysis to determine the underlying cause of problem
- User departments have been involved
- Involve peers when designing solution.
- Well planned and executed testing strategy.
- Production implementation is well coordinated
- Escalation of issues as needed
Programming and Testing:
1. Work with senior team members to architect technical solutions for deploying applications on Luminis, SharePoint, and other Portal platforms using deep understanding of the appropriate application technical architecture as well as middle tier integration technologies to ensure all future enhancements or integration solutions are well planned and architected.
2. Diagnose/resolve technical problems independently, articulate and discuss solution with peers in a confident manner with a view to getting input to provide the best solution for USD.
3. Develop integrated web based applications (utilizing a variety of languages such as PL/SQL, Java, XML, Ruby and HTML) as requested by the user community.
4. Ensure applications are integrated with the MySandiego Portal using the SunGard CPIP, CAS or GCF single sign-on technologies as well as implementation of adaptors for seamless integration to other products.
5. Develop and manage a set of metrics that provide usage patterns of the products supported.
6. Maintain the Nagios alert system to actively ensure the 24X7 availability of assigned products.
7. Multi task in the fast-paced, production environment to juggle priorities as needed to provide resolution to high profile technical issues.
Supervise/Mentor staff and miscellaneous tasks as assigned:
1. Supervise junior analysts/programmers as assigned
2. Set work schedules, goals and objectives;
3. Stay current with technology trends.
4. Recommend and evaluate relevant software products.