Research Assistant, The Jacobs Institute for Innovation in Education; School of Leadership & Education Sciences
Posting #: 1725
Position Status: Part-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: School of Leadership and Education Sciences, Staff
Position Title & Department:
|Research Assistant, The Jacobs Institute for Innovation in Education; School of Leadership & Education Sciences
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a part-time, temporary position with an anticipated assignment end date of July 5, 2020.
The Research Assistants will work on the three-year collaborative project “VisMO” funded by the National Science Foundation on visuospatial skill development and mathematical learning, led by Dr. Yaoran Li (JI, School of Leadership and Education Sciences), Dr. Perla Myers (Mathematics Department, College of Arts and Sciences), and Dr. Vitaliy Popov (JI, School of Leadership and Education Sciences) of the University of San Diego and Dr. David Geary (Department of Psychology) of the University of Missouri (see https://www.sandiego.edu/soles/jacobs-institute/research-evaluation/, for more information). The Research Assistant provides general research assistance and support to the PIs and the Project VisMO team. Supervision received from the Managing Researcher & Post-Doc Research/Project Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assists the research team on assigned tasks, such as literature review, contacting school partners, data collection, data entry, and data cleaning etc.
• Performs analyses and organize information to identify patterns or trends under the direction of the PIs.
• Works with the project manager to maintain the data quality and confidentially
• Adheres to ethical and confidentiality guidelines of both the university and IRB protocol.
• Participates in training opportunities to develop research capacities.
• Bachelor’s degree earned from an accredited college or university
• 6 mo-1 year research experience (may include experience gained during undergraduate studies)
• Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing programs including Excel
• A well-developed sense of curiosity, ingenuity, and perseverance.
• Strong listening skills and communication skills.
• Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
• Proven ability to follow through with tasks, work independently and meet deadlines.
• This position requires travel domestically, 10-15% time.
• Current enrollment or completion of a graduate degree in education, psychology, statistics, or sociology at an accredited college or university.
• More than one year of research experience in education or learning science projects.
• Experience with data processing or data analysis software or programming language, such as R, Python, or SQL.
• Experience working collaboratively with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
The Research Assistant provides general research assistance and support to the PIs and the Project VisMO team.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$20.00 per hour
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 25 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend