The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a part-time, temporary position with an anticipated assignment end date of September 27, 2020.
The Building Services Assistant, Ministry Center works independently and as part of a team to set-up meeting rooms and provide custodial support in the Ministry Center and Offices located in Founders Hall. Monitor the facility to ensure it is kept in immaculate condition; performs various duties requiring moderate physical strength and the ability to lift and move furniture up to 50 pounds. Typical routine duties include, but are not limited to, lifting, moving and set-up of function room furniture and equipment up to 50 pounds, setting up and cleaning up refreshments, dusting, dust mopping, sweeping, wet mopping, vacuuming, removing trash, polishing furniture, operation of basic mechanical cleaning equipment such as a vacuum, routinely check facility for maintenance issues and report to supervisor, and filling out simple forms. Supervision received from the Assistant Vice President and Director of University Minister.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Review and understand daily event activity schedule for Ministry Center.
• Receive visitors to the Ministry Center and guide them to the appropriate office, conference room or other space.
• Unlock and lock facility as appropriate to ensure safety and security as well as accessibility.
• Monitor public areas, multipurpose room and conference rooms to ensure orderliness and cleanliness.
• Check scheduled rooms throughout work shift to ensure space is configured for event, including proper set-up and placement of furniture, table linens, trash and recycling receptacles, etc.
• Move and set-up tables, chairs and other equipment (up to 50 pounds) in function rooms in preparation for events.
• Vacuum carpets, rugs, mats.
• Dust mop, sweep and wet mop floors.
• Keep restroom dispensers supplied with towels, soap, sanitary napkins, etc.
• Straighten/arrange furniture.
• Clean white boards and trays.
• Empty trash and recycle receptacles.
• Sweep elevators and stairwells
• Spot mop floors.
• Spot clean windows, walls, doors and other above floor surfaces.
• Dust and/or clean furniture, windowsills and other above floor surfaces.
• Polish furniture and fixtures.
• Routinely check all areas of the Ministry Center for maintenance issues including damage, paint detail, light bulb replacement, etc. Provide list to supervisor.
• Perform related work as required and instructed.
• Consistently follow safety practices appropriate to the trade and comply with rules and regulations established by the University, state and federal agencies.
• Ability to perform manual tasks requiring moderate physical strength and the ability to lift or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to follow simple oral and written instructions in English.
• Must be able to complete simple forms and conduct simple inventories of supplies and equipment.
• Must be able to maintain good working relationships with students, faculty and staff and adhere to University policies and procedures.
• Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
• Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
• Must have the ability to operate all mechanical cleaning equipment such as a vacuum.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to work independently, to follow direction, and to function as part of a team
• Ability to work in a professional, educational environment
• Ability to take initiative and problem solve
• Ability to be welcoming, gracious and hospitable
• Ability to identify needs and willingness to respond to address them
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Evening and weekend hours required. This person must be flexible and willing to work a schedule that may require early morning, late evening and weekend hours; changes on a weekly basis; and may require overtime depending on the function schedule.
• May be asked to work with potentially hazardous substances where detectable amounts of chemicals and materials known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects, or other reproductive harm can be found.
• Hand and power tools related to the trade.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Hours: 19 hours per week (Variable hours, usually in the late afternoon and evening)
Closing date: Open until filled.
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.