Position Title & Department:
| Web Support Services Assistant; Library & Web Services
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Web Support Services Assistant is part of the central ITS web team and works to provide front-line tier-two support for all incoming web-related service requests, tasks, questions, and issues, thus providing excellent customer service to all members of the university community.
The Web Support Services Assistant will monitor incoming requests arriving via the web team service portal and will respond to all inquiries in a timely manner. Follow-up is often in writing, via remote session (phone/screen-sharing), and/or an in-person meeting. Inquiries relate to the USD website and related systems, services, and integrations. Tracking, updating, and closing of all tickets will go through this position.
The Web Support Services Assistant will need to utilize Cascade Server CMS and use/update related documentation in order to help maintainers resolve questions.
The Web Support Services Assistant will also serve as the front line for reviewing technical workflow for the USD website, which includes checking all maintainer edits for accessibility and other technical standards as outlined on a per-page basis. The Web Support Services Assistant will update forms on the USD website (including database-driven forms) and manage vanity URL/redirect requests for the university. The position will create WordPress sites, manage account activation requests, and provide basic support for USD’s WordPress instance called USD Sites. Basic edits may be requested periodically for pages served out of either Cascade Server or USD Sites.
While not a coding or technical position, the ideal candidate should be able to use any number of tools, software, or systems depending on user needs and questions. Time management skills and the ability to multitask while remaining courteous and professional is critical. Patience is extremely critical as the position interacts with a high volume of non-technical people who are given web maintenance responsibilities by their department at the university. It is absolutely necessary to be able to remain professional and polite when interacting with the maintainers. Paying close attention to detail is also a critical skill. Supervision received from the University Web Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities:
General Web Support
- Monitors incoming web requests generated via web team online service portal.
- Responds to all inquiries in a timely manner in writing, via remote (phone/screen-sharing session), or in-person.
- Tracks, updates, and closes all tickets within service portal.
- Provides supplementary training and/or documentation when simply responding to a ticket will not achieve long-term results.
- Notices pattern in questions or issues and works with web team and/or customers to achieve a better long-term experience.
- Maintains internal knowledge base and log of frequently asked questions/responses for more efficient and consistent communication with customers.
- Updates documentation accordingly as web systems evolve and user questions change.
Cascade Server CMS
- Uses Cascade Server CMS to help maintainers resolve questions.
- Handles incoming technical workflow for the USD website, including checking all maintainer edits on a per-page basis to ensure compliance with accessibility and other technical standards as outlined.
- Follows up with users to provide corrections, suggestions, and when needed, offer re-training to achieve improved ability and self-reliance in the future.
- Update forms on the USD website including database-driven forms as well as those generated via FormAssembly, USD’s standardized form solution.
- Manage redirect (vanity URL) requests for the university.
- Work with the Senior Web Administrator to resolve server and regex issues.
- Handle basic edits and other tasks within Cascade Server, WordPress, or other web-related systems as needed and requested.
- Serve as support and back-up on project requests as requested by members of the web team.
WordPress Site and Account Activation
- Manage incoming WordPress account activation and site requests from USD faculty, staff, and students.
- Manage system plug-ins and widgets to ensure that integrated elements are current and supported.
- Work with USD Sites designer to make design and template tweaks as need arises.
- Work with USD Sites server administrator to make server and other adjustments as need arises.
- Provide basic training for faculty on WordPress when utilizing pre-made faculty site feature, if requested.
- HS Diploma and at least two (2) years of experience in customer relations or service.
- At least one (1) year of web or technical experience.
- Experience working with an online service portal such as Salesforce Service Cloud or a similar task management tool.
- Experience working with non-technical clients; ability to interpret requests despite non-technical understanding or knowledge on the part of the end-user is critical.
- Experience training non-technical peers and developing documentation for website maintenance and usage.
- Understand the importance of staying current in the technology field and rapidly learning new and changing software and tools.
- Experience with 508/ADA compliance.
- Since this is a customer service position, the ability to be available during regular business hours is required.
- Be committed to mission and vision of the university.
- Always demonstrate a positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- Ability to work well independently and in a dynamic team environment, and interface well with many individuals (administrators, faculty, students, and staff).
- Have excellent interpersonal, communication, customer-service, and problem-solving skills.
- Be able to discern problems and facilitate resolutions.
- Show patience when interacting with and helping a large volume of non-technical users where the web and technology is not primary to their working role at the university.
- Organize, analyze, and prioritize workload effectively and efficiently, sometimes with minimal supervision to meet deadlines.
- Ability to advocate for your own ideas, but also the ideas of others.
- Have project and time management skills both for working independently and helping to keep milestones on track when playing a role in a bigger project or task.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher-education institution preferred.
- Basic HTML/CSS/PHP experience for working more easily with web team and customers.
- Knowledge of or experience working in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge of servers and system administration, maintenance, and architecture.
- Experience with AP style.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Web Tools: CMS tools (WordPress and Cascade Server preferred), responsive frameworks (Foundation preferred), version control software
- Experience with search engine optimization (SEO) methods and standards
- Knowledgeable about web-related emerging technology and development
Tools & Equipment Used:
- Must be familiar with the use of both Windows and Macintosh computers.
- Must be familiar with mobile and tablet devices and other emerging technologies.
- Must be familiar with printing capabilities from various computer platforms.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Closing date: September 20, 2019
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.