This is a full-time, temporary position with an anticipated assignment end date of December 31, 2019.
The overall purpose of the Staff Attorney position is to provide direct client representation, case management, and legal intern supervision for the University of San Diego Legal Clinics program (a working law office). The University of San Diego Legal Clinics program provides upper division law students with the opportunity to use learned skills under the supervision of a practicing attorney while representing real clients. The Staff Attorney has shared responsibility with the clinic professors and staff for overall case management and risk management in the Legal Clinics. The Staff Attorney will be assigned an individual caseload consisting of, among other things, immigration-related matters including immigrating family members, work authorization, naturalization, derivative citizenship, deferred action
(such as DACA – Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), U-visa for crime victims and VAWA for domestic violence and abuse victims, and also provide direct representation to domestic violence victims seeking civil restraining orders. This position receives supervision from the Administrative Director of the Legal Clinics. This position supervises Paralegals, Support Staff, and Law Student Clinic Interns.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain an individual caseload of client cases providing direct client contact and support, representing and advocating on behalf of clients, and consulting with supervising attorneys to determine appropriate legal strategy to best assist assigned clients.
Law Office Management and Operations
- Provide secondary supervision for paralegals, support staff, and legal interns.
- Supervise and evaluate substantive casework provided by legal interns
- Administrative/operational supervision of Legal Clinics program.
- Monitor law office procedures, including opening and closing cases, record-keeping, and file maintenance.
- Provide for the continuous representation of clients during non-academic periods when law students are not available.
Grant Application and Administration
- Assist Administrative Director complete and submit annual grant applications.
- Organize case data for reporting and publicity.
- Compile and submit reports as required by grantors.
- Analyze and report year-to-year trends in case management.
- Monitor case diversity.
Outreach & Education
- Coordinate, develop and provide educational outreach presentations in both English and Spanish at community partners’ events throughout San Diego County.
- Identify and engage new community partners to increase the referral network for eligible program clients.
- Create and distribute informational handouts and posters for clients to community partners.
- Coordinate continuing education (MCLE) events at the USD Legal Clinics.
- Other tasks as required/assigned.
- J.D. degree
- Active membership in the California State Bar (in good standing)
- One year of immigration law experience
- Familiarity with computerized case management systems for legal practice
- Demonstrated skills in customer service, including problem-solving
- Ability to communicate effectively both in person and in writing
- Fluent in written and spoken Spanish
- Familiarity with grant application process and grant administration
- Demonstrated analytical skills utilized in budgeting and grant reports
- Experience dealing with community based organizations and volunteer groups
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Current membership in good standing in the California State Bar
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Must be able to travel as needed
- This is a full-time, temporary position with an anticipated assignment end date of December 31, 2019.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm
*Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.