Position Title & Department:
|Research Analyst, Advancement Services
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The research analyst identifies and qualifies individuals, corporations, and foundations as major donors consistent with the priorities of the university and ensures that the fundraising staff has an ongoing supply of prospects and information to meet the university-wide fundraising goals. This position conducts detailed research using a wide variety of biographical, organizational, and financial sources, including state-of-the-art online databases services, Internet websites, library and government sources, and other external repositories of public information. The research analyst composes documents (profiles, biographies, project summaries) using style, grammar, and content appropriate to specific audiences. Interprets and translates complex financial, legal, and corporate language into easily comprehensible terms while adhering to university standards of discretion and confidentiality. This position proactively communicates with development officers and provides insight in prospect cultivation strategies. This position requires excellent analytical skills; strong communication skills; and demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize work, and manage multiple priorities. Supervision received from the Senior Director of Advancement Services.
Duties & Responsibilities
Research and Analysis
- Initiate and perform complex analyses and organize information to identify philanthropic patterns, tendencies, and relationships among individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex financial disclosure documents for the purposes of wealth assessment (SEC filings, real property files, financial, and legal disclosures, etc.).
- Consult diverse, publicly available biographical, financial, and other references, including government and legal documents, to evaluate and verify information and estimate donors’ philanthropic capacity.
- Identify new prospects using both traditional and novel prospect research techniques and tools which include: periodical and electronic resource screening and/or information provided by the prospect, his/her organization, or his/her peers.
- As requested by clients, provide briefing materials about major donors/prospects to the president, vice presidents, deans, and other top-level executives.
- Make recommendations and assist in the development of successful solicitation strategies relative to the different campaign projects.
- Act as a resource on Advanced Lookup and gift record interpretation/lifetime giving calculations.
- Work with the senior director of Advancement Services to maintain research-oriented data and facilitate the movement of prospects through the development process.
- Compile, evaluate, and distribute reports from the system to University Advancement managers.
- Review local and national news data from internet-based and published periodicals, keeping abreast of prospect information and local/regional business developments and economic trends.
- Send articles/alerts to central files and clients as appropriate.
- Update the Advance database with new demographic information on prospects. When information is important and concerns a high-level prospect, notify appropriate clients immediately.
- Safeguard the confidentiality of donor information at all times. Uphold departmental and institutional policies regarding confidential information.
- Conduct special research assignments at the direction of the senior director of Advancement Services.
- Adhere to ethical and confidentiality guidelines of both the university and the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA).
- Continually improve research skills through an awareness of changes in resources and technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum of two years research experience in prospect research or in a closely related field such as fundraising, business, or library research.
Exceptional writing and oral communication skills required, with emphasis on qualitative information analysis and streamlined presentation. Strong editing skills.
Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop proactive prospecting methodologies to support organizational goals, including data mining, sophisticated constituent database queries, etc.
Advanced general computer knowledge of Windows and network-based environments, exceptional skills and experience using the MS Office suite of applications (especially Word, Excel and Access); demonstrated ability to use online and database resources creatively and effectively. Experience with the Advance database system is preferred.
High degree of confidentiality, tact, and sound judgment.
Requires a well-developed sense of curiosity, ingenuity, and perseverance.
Strong listening skills with the ability to extract, analyze, interpret, produce, and disseminate clear and concise reports.
Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
Performance Expectations Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent command of the English language including grammar, spelling, punctuation, formats, proofreading, and syntax; accurate typing and proofreading skills.
Must be able to work independently, taking initiative and setting priorities in a dynamic environment of regular interruptions.
Must be able to work under the pressure of time and frequent requests from multiple sources each having their own timelines and constraints and with all levels of administrative staff.
Knowledge of USD policies and procedures.
Knowledge of ethics statements by APRA, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and other related associations is preferred.
Must be friendly and personable; mature, positive attitude; a team player
Special Conditions of Employment: Advancement Services is a complex office with various responsibilities to the individual schools, athletics, the Office of the President, and the vice president of University Advancement with regard to resource development. This employee’s personality is just as important as any particular skill. This employee must have the ability to maintain a professional atmosphere, work well with diverse and distinct personalities, utilize tact and discretion, and maintain the strictest confidentiality.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$20.70 - $24.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume and cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday-Friday from 8:30am-5:00pm
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.