The university is seeking a dynamic Head Women's Softball Coach who is capable of building a championship-level program and committed to our vision of Winning in the Classroom, Winning on the Playing Field and Winning in the Community. The Head Women's Softball Coach is responsible for all administrative and organizational aspects of the given sport program within the mission of the University and its philosophy of Intercollegiate Athletics. The head softball coach will hold academic requirements and pursuits as a matter of highest priority and will actively encourage student-athletes to succeed academically and acquire a degree. The head softball coach directly supervises two assistant coaches, a volunteer coach, the student athletes in the softball program, student workers who function as grounds keepers in any given year. The head coach is also responsible for budget development and administration, recruitment of student-athletes, adherence to NCAA, WCC Conference and University regulations with regard to recruiting, admission standards and eligibility, monitoring student-athlete academic progress, the scheduling of athletic practices and contests, and the establishment of effective media relations. The head softball coach will assist in sports promotional and fundraising activities and serve as a representative of the University to the outside community. General supervision from the Senior Associate AD. Provides close supervision of the assistant coaches and volunteer coach.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Team Oversight, Administration and Organization - As head softball Coach, direct involvement with all administrative and organizational aspects of an NCAA Division I program under the supervision of the AD.
• Supervision of assistant coaches with delegated responsibilities for the overall maintenance of the program.
• Supervision of all student athletes in a coordinated and planned program of practices and competition, with a concern for the players’ health and welfare, physical and psychological preparation.
• In cooperation with the athletic academic support staff, uphold all University academic policies and assist, when appropriate, in counseling student-athletes relative to academic success, progress and eligibility.
• Enforce University and athletic department policies and regulations in regard to the use/abuse of alcohol and drugs by team members.
• Foster and maintain positive student body and faculty relations with student athletes.
• Work with the Senior Associate Director of Athletics on the annual budget for the program and operate within the approved budget.
• Work with the Manager of Athletic Equipment Services to purchase uniforms, supplies and equipment as approved by the sport supervisor and Director of Athletics.
• Responsible for all team and individual travel, meals and lodging with prompt resolution of accounts.
• Prepare and organize a competitive schedule for approval by the sport supervisor and director of athletics. Consideration should be given to the academic life of student-athletes, i.e. missed class time, examination periods and other factors that would adversely affect their academic success.
• Participation in public relations, promotion and fund raising activities as conducted by the University and/or department.
• Responsible for a yearly designated amount of fundraising. (to be determined by the sport supervisor and Senior Associate Director of Athletics for Development ).
• Maintain professional growth through attending meetings, coaches clinics, workshops, etc.
• Assist in conference, regional and national events hosted by the University.
• Assist in the organization of any team and/or department awards presentations to student-athletes.
• Establish and maintain positive relations with the media.
• The selection of the volunteer coach plus the assignment of duties and responsibilities.
2. Responsibility for recruiting academically and athletically qualified student-athletes for admission to the University with adherence to admissions and athletic department policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of and adherence to all University, NCAA and conference rules and regulations, policies and procedures with special attention to recruiting, eligibility, admissions and financial aid.
• Annually make recommendations to the sport supervisor, director of athletics and director of financial aid for the awarding of athletic grants-in-aid for both new and continuing students-athletes.
3. Field Preparation
• In cooperation with the Associate AD for Facilities and Operations, student workers and coaching staff, maintain softball field, dugouts, batting cages and bullpens for practices and home contests.
• Responsibility for keeping the Associate AD for Facilities and Operations appraised of major needs for the stadium, field and support areas. (dugouts, batting cages, bull pen area, storage sheds, etc)).
• Responsible for making recommendations for improvements to stadium area and field area.
4. Overall responsibility for softball camps and clinics
• Work with the Executive Assistant for Camps and Associate Director of Facilities in setting of prices for camps. Responsible for all hiring and conduct of staff.
• In conjunction with Executive Assistant for Camps, set all camp dates and reserve all sites.
• Complete all necessary Human Resource paperwork, including background checks.
• Ensure safety of campers while on campus .
• Responsible for recruitment of campers and overall budget for camps.
1. Bachelor’s degree required; master’s preferred.
2. At least 3 years of related experience, preferably in a head coaching position.
3. Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations required.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to communicate effectively with members of the University community, San Diego community and all media.
2. Possess good management skills.
3. Ability to run a successful program at the NCAA Division I level.
4. Represent the University in a professional and responsible manner; excellent interpersonal skills.
5. Adherence to and appreciation for NCAA/conference/league regulations and ability to instill those values in subordinates and students.
6. Ability to operate a Toro Tractor.
Special Conditions of Employment: Must be able to travel for extended periods of time for athletic and recruiting events.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.