Reporting to the Employment Services Manager, the Employment Services Coordinator acts as a consultant to hiring managers and search committees on the University’s policies, practices, and processes related to the recruitment process. Screens and refers qualified candidates for staff and administrative positions. Coordinates and produces recruitment advertisements, job postings, and prepares related correspondence. Assists applicants with the application process and status updates as needed. Administers the offer process to include managing the background check, education verification, and onboarding processes. Works with manager to improve processes and implement innovative recruitment/employment systems. Serve as the functional lead for electronic recruiting system. Manages the employment visa and permanent residency petitions, as needed, for university employees. Manages data collection for EEO and department metrics. Reviews incoming employment paperwork and follows up with supervisors as required to ensure accuracy and completeness. Designs, coordinates and delivers related training for hiring managers. Provides leadership and oversight over the front desk and the Employment Services Assistant. This position receives general guidance and direction from the Employment Services Manager. This position exercises oversight and provides work direction to the Employment Services Assistant and the Customer Service Assistant, as well as provides work direction to student workers and interns.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Acts as a consultant to departments throughout the recruitment process for staff and administrative positions. Suggests recruitment sources suited for the position being posted, writes and posts job openings and coordinates the placement of recruitment ads. Oversees and maintains paper and electronic recruitment records and files. Maintains advertisement log and processes invoice payment request. Supervises screening and processing of applications for staff and administrative positions. Reviews applicant pool for minimum qualifications, participates in the interview process, assists with candidate selection and salary determination, as requested by a hiring manager. Reviews hiring requests for compliance; extends offers. Follows up with departments weekly or as needed to ensure recruitment needs and hiring policies and practices are being met, providing excellent customer service.
- Coordinates strategic recruiting and sourcing efforts; to include sourcing potential candidates from online channels, creating recruiting communication to attract passive candidates, and connecting potential candidates to hiring managers based on area needs.
- Acts as the functional lead for electronic recruiting system. Configures, maintains and tests system, working with the HRIS team and/or third party software company when necessary. Oversees electronic onboarding and integration process. Continuously manage system process improvements and roll out additional unutilized features. Trains and supports hiring managers and applicants with online application system usage. Creates and generates system reports as needed.
- Supervises production of applicant correspondence as needed, including monitoring appropriate submittal of online applications in electronic recruiting system, acknowledging receipt of application materials and sending automated notifications and offer letters to applicants.
Coordinates, updates and maintains the employment web site, working with the manager as needed on content creation.
- Oversees and assists the HR Assistant with managing the temporary pool, updating the bulletin job board, the HR and Jobs email inboxes and recruitment file maintenance.
- Maintains recruitment statistics and generates monthly and quarterly statistical reports.
Employment and Front Desk:
- Reviews, processes and assists, as needed, with all incoming employment paperwork for staff, administrators, faculty and student employees. Contacts supervisors and new hires as needed to track down missing paperwork and resolves questions regarding employee pay, status, assignment, and other required information. Uses judgment and knowledge of USD policies and procedures to resolve issues. Controls position and department (organization) information in HRIS, making changes as needed or requested.
- Oversees the front desk operations. Coordinates/ensures coverage for Customer Service Assistant for breaks/absences/vacations/busy times, scheduling appropriate assigned HR staff.
- Responds to questions from Transactions and Records Processors about paperwork, ensuring accuracy and timely entry of all data into HRIS.
- Serves as back up support for Transactions Processors during peak times or when people are out of the office to hire new employees or make necessary changes to employment records.
- Advises supervisors and employees on USD policies pertaining to employment, background checks, and I-9’s.
- In collaboration with the Employment Services Manager, manages employment visas and permanent residency petition processes as needed. Collaborates with hiring departments/units regarding new international faculty and staff visa processes. Serves as the primary information resource and liaison between the University and their designated immigration law firm. Maintains records and files.
- Verifies I-9 documents, provides training on I-9 completion process, and maintains compliance audits. Follows up as needed with departments on compliance issues.
- Coordinates the background check screening process, including requesting screenings, reviewing results, determining outcomes, communicating with departments and new hires, recommending process improvements, training employees, coordinating with vendor, producing reports, and working with hiring departments to resolve issues. Coordinate and maintain file archive, metrics, and invoicing.
- Coordinates required employment reporting.
- Assesses, designs, coordinates, and delivers training on relevant Employment topics to support hiring managers in understanding USD procedures and legal requirements. This may include researching and making recommendations for the selection and coordination of external training sources, as well as the direct responsibility for designing and personally conducting in-house training and development programs. Conducts electronic recruitment system training sessions for hiring managers.
- Responds to requests for “customized” training or presentation. Researches and identifies “best practice” in response to request, and facilitates the design, implementation, delivery and evaluation of efforts. Develops and implements an effective “train the trainer” program in applicable areas where training lends itself to decentralization.
- Trains, mentors, and provides work direction to Human Resources Assistant and Customer Service Assistant.
- Assists with the evaluation, development and implementation of innovative recruitment/employment systems, including online recruitment systems, background check systems, and other technology based business solutions.
- Assists as requested with the development and production of various recruitment and employment related reports.
- Assists in the preparation of the strategic plan for employment and training initiatives. Provides effective management of resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience (at the rate of two years of college is equal to one year of experience).
- Requires three years of professional level Human Resources experience, at least one of which is in recruitment/employment.
- Some experience with automated Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) required.
- Computer literacy (Windows, MS Office Suite) required.
- Prefer experience as recruiter for professional level recruitments.
- Some experience with employment-based visas preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- HR Certificate preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of current regulations regarding employment practices
- Some knowledge of effective recruiting and interviewing techniques and best practices
- Computer literacy (Windows, word processing software and computer spreadsheets),
Microsoft Office Suite required
- Some knowledge of data recordkeeping in an HRIS
- Demonstrated recruitment and interviewing skills
- Independent judgment and decision-making skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong administrative and multi-tasking skills
- Strong customer service and relationship-building skills
- Strong leadership and delegation skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Demonstrated public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently to prioritize, multi-task, and meet multiple simultaneous
process and project deadlines
- Ability to work consultatively with hiring managers, supervisors and department
- Ability to work with upset customers and potentially volatile situations in an effective,
professional and positive manner
- Ability to effectively communicate and recommend policies and procedures as guides
when answering employment questions.
- Safeguards confidentiality by exercising discretion in communicating information and
handling records, files and all confidential materials
- Ability to develop, produce and analyze ad hoc reports as needed
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.