Are you an innovative experience designer who specializes in bringing unexpected delight to your audiences?
Do you excel in accomplishing details required to produce standing room only large scale events?
Are you driven to amplify the reputation of a school/organization through an event series?
The University of San Diego’s Kroc School of Peace Studies is seeking a driven, entrepreneurial leader to level up their annual event series. The Events Curator collaborates with the Dean and leaders of the Kroc School to curate a program of thought leadership events including four annual high profile, marquee events. The leader provides the vision needed to design innovative, memorable experiences and the event coordination expertise to successfully plan, organize and manage all production and logistics. The Event Curator works collaboratively within the School’s Marketing and Advancement team to build an audience and ensure events are amplifying work to enhance the visibility and reputation of the Kroc School locally, nationally, and globally.
Applicants should have minimum of three years of experience designing and managing successful events, a bachelor’s degree and be ready to take on a tough, but hugely rewarding leadership challenge. Top candidates will have:
A visual portfolio that demonstrates experience producing innovative large scale events/shows.
The networks, as well as the audacity, to seek out and secure high-level speakers from a broad range of sectors, including celebrities.
Demonstrated audience development skills.
Experience growing an annual event series from good to great.
The Events Curator collaborates with the Dean, Faculty and staff of the Kroc School to curate a program of lectures and events including four annual high profile, marquee events. The incumbent will provide the vision needed to design innovative, memorable experiences and the event coordination expertise to successfully plan, organize and manage all marketing, production, and logistics. Work collaboratively with Kroc School faculty and staff to ideate event format and identify the best speakers and participants. Manage and implement scheduling, budgets, outreach and marketing plans, and all other aspects related to the production of events. Work closely with the School’s Marketing and Advancement team to build an audience and ensure events are amplifying their work to raise and enhance the visibility and reputation of the Kroc School locally, nationally, and globally. Supervision received from Assistant Dean of Marketing and Advancement. This position supervises Event Contractors, work-study students and volunteers.
Event Planning, Production, and Administration
- Serve as lead designer, planner and implementer for Kroc IPJ and Kroc School public facing, invite-only, and programmatic events, including four annual high profile, marquee events.
- Collaborate with the Dean, Faculty and Staff to ideate innovative event formats, identify the best speakers and participants, and design the audience experience.
- Develop planning calendar, select and schedule event location, food and beverage, decor, supplies, audiovisual and other equipment and services, photography, videography, parking for attendees, signage, etc.
- Lead speaker and participant invitations and contracts, coordinate schedule, honoraria, travel, and related logistics.
- Work with speakers and participants to create powerful, memorable events (shows & participatory experiences) including, but not limited to coaching speakers, designing presentation templates, etc.
- Manage all aspects of event budgeting.
- Ensure events are coordinated across the Kroc School and the University to maximize impact and limit conflicts.
- Serve as contact for co-sponsorship requests and opportunities.
- Coordinate and train staff, students and volunteers working at events.
- Serve as day-of event contact and be present throughout the event.
- Ensure all services required for events are delivered accordingly.
- Perform post-event follow-up such as:
- Coordinate with ITS and audiovisual technicians to obtain and post event audio recording and/or video footage to the appropriate web pages.
- Coordinate speaker and other thank you notes.
- Leverage post-event marketing and outreach opportunities.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Communications, Marketing, and Outreach
- Lead promotion and outreach efforts for Kroc School events.
- Manage audience development, invitation lists, registration platform and communications.
- Promote events and publications to a wide range of audiences using social media and Kroc School digital outreach tools.
- Liaise with USD University Communications to promote events through online and offline media.
- Work with Kroc School Marketing and Advancement team colleagues to
- develop and manage appropriate marketing lists for promotion of and to build an audience for events and publications
- to identify other opportunities to leverage events to amplify broader Kroc School marketing efforts.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- A minimum of three years of experience designing and managing successful events, including the development of event series as well as individual events.
- The networks, as well as the audacity, to seek out and secure high-level speakers from a broad range of sectors, including celebrities.
- A visual portfolio that demonstrates creation and execution of “show” and/or other participatory experience events.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated project management expertise including budget management.
- Experience in the use of the Google suite, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe InDesign or other desktop publishing software, project management software (examples: Trello, Basecamp, Asana, etc), and social media tools.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating compelling visual presentations in Google Slides (and PowerPoint). Past examples will be requested and should demonstrate the ability to succinctly and beautifully represent a concept and the action plan necessary to achieve a goal.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with speakers and other event contributors to create powerful, memorable events. This will include designing the audience experience, designing presentation templates, coaching speakers, etc.
- Highly organized, motivated and detail oriented.
- Expertise in project management software and tools (candidates will be asked to share past examples of tools used)
- Ability to exercise self-initiative.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a collaborative team.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and occasionally high-pressure environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to respond to unanticipated situations and shift priorities while remaining poised and calm under pressure.
- Ability to interact appropriately with colleagues at all levels within the University, as well as high level diplomats, community leaders, corporate executives, celebrities and guests from local, national and international communities.
- Ability to work cooperatively with employees not under her/his direct supervision.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed to ensure successful events.
- Ability to foresee future needs, respond accordingly, and plan proactively.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.