Postdoctoral Research Associate
Job Number: 1061
Position Status: Faculty, Full-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering, Faculty
Position Title & Department:
|Postdoctoral Research Associate: Social Scientist /STS/ Engineering Education
Our School of Engineering is revolutionizing engineering education, with the aim of preparing students to innovate engineering solutions developed within a contextual framework that embeds humanitarian, sustainable and social justice approaches. It also seeks to infuse professional skills into the curriculum and align these with our institutional context. This requires an enhanced curriculum with a focus on student teamwork, a greater consideration of social and economic factors, improved communication with diverse constituents, and reflection on an ethical understanding of decisions and solutions.
Additional information about SMSE and USD
USD provides a high quality undergraduate education by emphasizing small classes and a high level of faculty-student interaction. The Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering has recently ranked among the top 15 programs at non-Ph.D. granting institutions by U.S. News and World Report. The school currently houses undergraduate degrees in engineering (general with concentrations in software engineering, sustainability, and bioengineering), electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and industrial & systems engineering.
The Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering is seeking candidates for one or more years as a postdoctoral research associate to work on the National Science Foundation grant: IUSE/PFE Revolutionizing Engineering and Computer Science Departments (RED): “Developing Changemaking Engineers”. The postdoctoral researcher will join the PI team to collaborate with faculty, students, and industry partners in producing and disseminating activities in and out of the university classroom in support of our model for collaborative change to redefine the “engineering canon” and develop “Changemaking Engineers”. The RED abstract can be found at: http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1519453
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate to analyze surveys, focus groups, interviews, and observational work, interpret collected data, and produce project reports related to RED initiatives
- Develop case studies, modules, and peer-reviewed conference papers and journal articles consistent with the grant
- Support the development of an edited volume on the topic of activities related to grant goals
- Provide logistical support for classes, talks, workshops, and other events
- Partner with stakeholders in forums (these include industry, community, students, and faculty)
- Assist with the development of an industry-developed internship and mentorship program
- Design workshops and events related to RED initiatives
- Assist in instruction if/when appropriate
- Collaborate with other RED teams at other universities to develop synergistic opportunities
- Represent the RED team at conferences and events
- Provide leadership on innovative opportunities related to the RED grant
- Other duties as needed
Anticipated starting date: August 2019
Required Qualifications: A PhD in a social science, engineering education, or engineering. The candidate will have demonstrated experience in mixed-method research.
- Experience with research into the socio-technical paradigm
- Experience with curriculum development
- Experience developing case studies
- Experience in collaborative, multi-investigator research environments
- Experience with innovative and risk-taking learning environments
- A team player with excellent written and oral communication skills
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application.
For greatest consideration, please submit the following by June 03
- Your curriculum vitae.
- Your research statement/plans.
- Cover letter to include a statement of how you fit with the goals of the USD NSF RED grant to develop changemaking engineers.
- Be sure to include your available start date should the position be offered to you.
Contact: Chell Roberts, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend