This is a part-time, temporary, non-benefit based position with an assignment end date of May 24, 2020.
University of San Diego Athletics Strategic Communications is seeking a paid intern for the 2019-20 athletic year, beginning June 1, 2019-May 24, 2020. Candidates must possess a strong work ethic, enthusiasm and a goal of working in the athletics communications field.
The primary responsibility for the communications intern will be creative video production. They will focus on creating videos for social media, in-venue videoboards, the USDToreros.com website, and other mediums as needed.
The intern will also have the opportunity to serve as the primary contact for assigned sports, assist at all home football games, and select men’s and women’s basketball games.
This individual will have a range of responsibilities which include: creative video production, customer service, writing, editing, graphic design, social media, archiving, event management, and the facilitation of interview requests. In addition to the daytime office hours, nights and weekends are required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Program Management, Content Generation and Communications
Primary creative video lead for USD Athletics and its 17 Division-I teams
Provide exemplary customer service to internal and external members, including less than 24- hour response rates for internal and media-related matters and frequent proactive updates on mid and long-term projects
Facilitate program interview and media requests with local, regional, national media
Facilitate internal feature coverage, including creative, video, digital, social, written, and other emerging content mediums
Nominate student-athletes and coaches for weekly awards and postseason awards
Input results for national rankings and postseason selections
Regularly input and update basic event information on digital platforms including dates, times, opponents, media, ticket and promotional information
Write and edit various department communication materials, record books, student-athlete bios; postseason publications, press releases (previews, recaps, advisories), feature stories, game notes and daily sport specific content for the department's website
Proactively schedules photography for programs and events and provides shot lists to event photographers
Arrange credentials for media to attend home events
- Direct game coverage for assigned sports and assist in game and practice coverage for additional and secondary sports. Schedule, supervise and coordinate game day communications operations and supervision of game day staff in press areas for selected sports.
Strategic Communications and Digital Execution
- Positively influence the perceptions and narratives about the University of San Diego.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with local, regional and national media on social media platforms.
- Promote the events, ticketing and development-related initiatives of the Athletic Department.
- Utilize current and emerging digital platforms and accessible technologies to provide behind-scenes viewpoints of USD Athletics and its community members.
- Support revenue development through messaging that help sell tickets and promote fundraising initiatives and development campaigns.
- Maintain a consistent voice on social and digital platforms.
Support External Affairs and Programs
- Inform and educate athletes, coaches, administrators, other athletic department members and University constituents on effective methods of media interaction, and personal and program use of social networking platforms.
- Gather and interpret data analytics to help make informed decisions. Use data and searchable analytics to strategically think about content, platforms, audiences, time and user experience.
- Learn and adopt new technology, tools, platforms, programs that San Diego will use to communicate and engage with audiences how, where and when they need to consume information. Utilizes social and emerging platforms both personally and professionally.
- Collaborate with others to lead proactive relationships in the University, athletic department, West Coast Conference and NCAA, among others.
- Champion department initiatives and drive enthusiasm and professionalism among a diverse staff with complimentary skillsets and experiences.
- Manage the delivery and evaluation of effective messaging examples through weekly staff updates to key members of the team and programs.
- Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, digital media, sport management or related field
- Outstanding organizational, communication, writing and interpersonal skills in a fast-paced environment
- In-depth knowledge of the digital and social landscapes; must be active on social media
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously along difficult timelines
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work efficiently in a fast paced environment
- High level of personal integrity and ethics
- Ability to work as a member of a high-performing team
- Ability to work independently and to exercise judgment and discretion
- Ability to work extended stretches, both within a day and over several consecutive days
- Ability to manage time and balance consistent regular office hours with event schedules
- Passion for intercollegiate athletics
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a high level of energy, charisma, enthusiasm, creativity and to be professional, yet able to have fun in the work place
- Experience working in a collegiate athletics department or professional sports organization
- Confidence and familiarity working with web technologies, including basic HTML
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.