Chef Manager, Pavilion Dining
Job Number: 1027
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Dining Services, Administrator
Position Title & Department:
|Chef Manager, Pavilion Dining
Pavilion Dining is home to an array of unique dining concepts that fuse distinct ingredients and flavors to create delicious menus in an inviting environment. Menus were developed in partnership with the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. Recipient of a Silver Loyal E. Horton Award presented by NACUFS for excellence in dining.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Chef Manager will be responsible for the coordination and execution of the functional operation of Pavilion Dining. The manager is responsible for training, coordinating and evaluating the work of the production staff. They are responsible for purchasing, recipe and product development. They will assist in the development of departmental goals. They will plan, develop and supervise a team using a comprehensive menu management program. Ensure overall consistency and high quality across the operations; plan menus based on such factors as market trends, customer preferences and nutritional considerations; design recipes, determine appropriate ingredients and specify individual serving portion for each recipe. Develop menus in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, and ease of preparations, established procedures and budgetary constraints. This position receives General supervision from Manager of Pavilion Dining and Director of Dining Services. This position exercises close supervision of a Sous Chef, Lead Cook, full-time cooks, and seasonal part-time cooks.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Quality Production
- Maintains Controls/Financial
- Employee Relations/Leadership
- Customer Relations
- Safety and Sanitation
- Must have a degree in Culinary Arts or Bachelor's degree in institutional management, nutrition, dietetics, or hotel and restaurant management.
- At least 4 years of related experience and at least 2 years of supervisory experience in a high-volume food production environment
- Strong leadership, oral and written communication skills are required
- A proven track record of successfully controlling costs and managing annual budgets
- Experience with a computerized menu management system, and knowledge of office and industry software applications is necessary.
- Ability to work flexible and demanding hours.
- Multi-Unit Supervisory experience preferred
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to define and implement effective solutions to problems as they arise.
- Possess good time management and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Understanding of accounting procedures, including costing and menu pricing processes.
- Appreciation for and ability to perform exceptional customer service and instill this quality in subordinates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to interact with a diverse group of constituents.
- General knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures and inventory techniques.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance and calibration techniques.
- Ability to work effectively in a strong service-oriented environment with frequently changing priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality in food procurement, production and services.
- General knowledge of marketing and merchandising techniques.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently, demonstrating initiative and creativity.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume and cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours per week: 40
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend