The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a seasonal, temporary, non-benefit based, part-time position with an anticipated assignment end date of September 15, 2019.
erform semi-skilled to skilled level work related to the painting trade in connection with maintenance, repair and renovation of buildings, on any University property. Assists in scraping, burning, sanding, and otherwise preparing surface for painting; applying undercoats and finishing coats of stain, paint, enamel, varnishes and lacquers by brush, and spray. Fills nail holes, cracks and joints with putty, plaster, and other filler. Erects scaffolding or sets up ladders to perform tasks above ground level. Receives supervision from Superintendent.
Perform semi-skilled to skilled level tasks related to painting in the following categories.
- Performs routine maintenance on all interior and exterior buildings either on a work request or scheduled maintenance as directed by supervisor.
- Sands, primes, and applies finish coats of paint to newly constructed carpentry work.
- Refinishes furniture, doors, shelves, and wall covering as directed by supervisor by stripping, sanding, staining, and varnishing.
- Maintains interior and exterior color scheme as per interior decorator’s instruction.
- Works in a neat and orderly manner, cleans up daily at the end of each job.
- Maintains tools and equipment in good condition.
- Works from ladders and scaffolding as well as in confined spaces.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum three to five years of experience in this trade
- Substantial knowledge in all of the functional areas.
- Substantial skills at the semi-skilled level in all of the functional areas.
- Demonstrated ability to operate and maintain hand and power tools, typically used in the trade, in a safe manner.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Physical ability to perform indicated tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in teams or alone.
- Knowledge of surface preparation material and techniques.
- Knowledge of surface finishing materials.
- Knowledge of color matching.
- Knowledge of safety techniques in the painting trade.
- Skilled applying paint and other surface materials by brush, roller, or spray.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
- Ability to access input and retrieves information from a computer system for word processing, records retrieval and maintenance, research and communication purposes;
- Understands the importance of customer service and has the ability to follow-up as well as communicate to FM and the campus clients.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work assigned hours and may be assigned to work any shift.
- Must wear a uniform prescribed and furnished by USD
- Subject to occasional overtime and possible callback.
- Must work individually or in teams coordinating assigned work with other groups and departments.
- May be assigned to work at any USD facility/location.
- Assist craft workers from other trades or shops when assigned
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Hours: 40 hours per week
Closing date: May 5, 2019
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.