Position Title & Department:
Research Associate, Jacobs Institute for Innovation in Education
The Jacobs Institute for Innovation in Education is a non-profit R&D institute powering inclusive innovation and leadership in education. We are affiliated with the School of Leadership & Education Sciences at the University of San Diego and engage in pioneering research and evaluation, development of innovative curriculum and technologies, and support professional learning grounded in the learning sciences. Our mission fosters inclusion, diversity, and social justice in education. Our team includes researchers, designers, technologists, and faculty.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a full-time temporary, benefit-based position with an anticipated end date of October 31, 2023.
The research associate position’s primary purpose is to conduct research or evaluation studies, as assigned, on behalf of the Jacobs Institute for Innovation in Education (JI). The Research Associate will work with the JI team and under the general guidance and supervision of the Associate Director of Research.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts thorough literature review and information research, utilizing institution library, archives, and collections, internet-based information, and other sources of information, to collect, record, analyze, and evaluate facts.
- Conducts field research through interviews, surveys, focus groups and other site methodologies to collect, record, analyze, and evaluate facts.
- Apply basic and advanced statistical methods as appropriate for evaluation and research projects.
- Preparation of project proposals in collaboration with the project and personnel manager.
- Disseminate information related to JI research and evaluation projects to research, practitioner, policy, and/or stakeholder communities through publications, presentations, workshops, forums, and/or social media. Duties include the preparation of conference proposals, journal articles, and/or technical reports, papers, or records.
- As assigned, serve as Project Lead for research and/or evaluation projects. Under the general guidance of the Associate Director or Director of Research, manage all logistical and methods-related aspects of the assigned research or evaluation projects.
- Participate in full-staff, research team, project team meetings, and others as assigned.
- Serve on JI and/or university committees as assigned.
- Represent JI in a professional manner in all activities.
- Complete tasks—large and small—as needed to advance the work of the center.
- Present findings at conferences, as needed.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Doctoral degree required in education, psychology, research methods, or related field.
- Deep knowledge and experience in educational technology, learning sciences, and/or innovation in education.
- Strong analytical, organizational, planning, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Experience conducting qualitative and/or quantitative research and evaluation studies.
- Initiative, time management skills, and proven ability to follow through with tasks and work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with research institute staff, affiliated faculty, school district personnel, and other stakeholders.
- Must be able to work on-campus at the University of San Diego in San Diego, California
- Qualitative data analysis skills, including knowledge of qualitative data analysis software.
- Quantitative data analysis skills, including knowledge of SPSS/SAS/R/Python.
- Experience conducting educational research in PK-12 environments preferred.
- Proven ability to effectively manage research and/or evaluation projects, data, and project teams.
- Experience writing or supporting federal or foundation level grant initiatives
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.