The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Assistant Director for Creative Video assists the External Affairs team and athletics department in the strategy and creation of video and digital content for USD’s seventeen NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletic teams. This position will determine the creative and visual storytelling direction for USD Athletics as well as help push the USD athletics brand forward. Content produced includes, but is not limited to highlight/interview packages, behind-the-scenes features, scholar-athlete profiles, other feature content, social media content, in-venue and fan engagement videos.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptualized, shoot, edit, and produce video content for social media and in venue.
- Shoot footage of practices, games, interviews, community outreach and special events, and other projects as needed for USD’s seventeen NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletic teams.
- Tell USD Athletics story to reach local, regional and national levels. Work collaboratively across multiple departments including, marketing, communications, broadcast, sponsorship, and team personnel.
- Working knowledge of various social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube) and how to best use for engagement.
- Identify and research best practices and current trends. 2.
Oversee Internship Program
- Responsible for recruiting, training and overseeing student talent. Oversee, assign, and delegate duties for all interns and projects.
- Coordinate with faculty to ensure duties are consistent with class requirements, as necessary.
- Evaluates interns each semester for grades and feedback, as necessary.
Brand Enhancement and Content Creation
- Provide insight and knowledge on brand standards to ensure USD Athletics’ brand is one of the nation’s leaders.
- Assist with other digital content assets as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Evening and weekend work essential.
- The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications, Journalism or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least one year of experience as a videographer; two years preferred.
- Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations strongly preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Specialized skills in video editing, lighting and composition, camera operation, audio recording and video production.
- Excellent organization and time management skills. Ability to work independently, or with others, under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Understanding and experience of the sports industry.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
- Ability to work flexible hours including frequent evenings and weekends.
- Knowledgeable with video equipment and post production software for video editing.
- Functional knowledge of video streaming and elements of a live sports video production/broadcast.
- Experience using still photography
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- CPR/first aid certification required within six weeks of employment
- California driver’s license required background checks.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 40 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.