Posting #: 4067
Position Status: Full-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Staff, Tram Services
Position Title & Department:
| Tram Driver; Public Safety and Tram Services
The University of San Diego Department of Public Safety is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure living, learning, and working environment in partnership with those it serves in a fair, transparent, and respectful manner. We believe in working within the highest professional standards while providing exceptional service to our University community.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a temporary position with an anticipated end date of December 31, 2022.
The tram driver supports the University and department mission to offer quality service and create a welcoming environment. Under supervision, this position is responsible for the operation of a tram designed to carry up to 30 passengers on and off campus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drives tram on designated routes.
- Maintains current Class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement of 30+ and medical certification.
- Adheres to all traffic regulations.
- Drives in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintains scheduled runs.
- Displays courteous manners to all passengers.
- Checks vehicle for damage and maintenance needs (tires, cleanliness).
- Helps maintain vehicle cleanliness.
- Practices non-aggressive, defensive driving techniques; anticipates and reports traffic problems to other drivers.
- Monitors gauges, reports discrepancies, and initiates correction.
- Monitors and responds to communications over radio.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable safety procedures and emergency equipment in the event of an illness, accident, or breakdown.
- Makes oneself familiar and adheres to University polices in regards to Standards of Conduct.
- Follows safety practices appropriate to the trade and complies with rules and regulations established by the University, state and federal agencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Special Conditions of Employment
- Successfully pass drug-screening test.
- Must pass Department of Motor Vehicles background check and submit driver record printout.
- Must be able to work assigned hours and may be required to work overtime and weekends, as needed. May need to adjust shifts; work extended or late shifts.
- Job hours and/or work week may be changed when necessary to meet work commitments.
- Must have a valid, California Class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement of 30 or more and will be required to drive University vehicles.
- Employee is required to properly wear a uniform issued by USD.
- Will participate in the University and/or department leadership enrichment courses and/or seminars related to the trade.
- Due to safety sensitive job classification, must pass drug and alcohol pre-employment exam and enroll in random testing program.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of three years’ operating with a Class B license with passenger endorsement of 30 or more.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to clearly communicate information to a wide variety of people, as well as the ability to handle problem passengers.
- Physical strength and mobility to assist with passengers who use a wheelchair.
- Skill in driving vehicles in pedestrian congested areas.
- Knowledge of various safe-driving techniques.
- Must become familiar with campus building names to help direct visitors.
- Be knowledgeable of campus layout and parking facilities.
- Must maintain an acceptable attendance record.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Must have a valid, California class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement of 30 or more.
- Must maintain current medical certificate.
Tools and Equipment Used:
- 25’ ADA Shuttle Bus, GPS system, Hytera 400 MHz radio, and Workday time card.
$19.88 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend