Traffic Control and Eco-shuttle cart driver
Posting #: 3934
Position Status: Part-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Staff, Tram Services
Position Title & Department:
| Traffic Control and Eco-shuttle cart driver; Tram Services
The Tram Service is an on-campus shuttle service that moves students, faculty, staff and visitors to various stops on the campus.
The trams run in a circular loop throughout the entire campus as well as short loops to accommodate heavier traffic from Manchester Village and the West Parking Structure. The Tram Service also provides morning and evening service to Old Town Trolley Station. The Tram Service operates full-time during the fall and spring semesters and on a limited basis during intersession and summer.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a part-time, temporary position with an anticipated end date of December 17, 2021.
The Eco-Shuttle Cart Driver supports the University and department mission to offer quality service and create a welcoming environment. Under supervision, this position is responsible for the operation of a 14-passenger and 12-passenger eco-shuttle with ADA lift designed to transport passengers on campus.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Eco-Shuttle Cart Operations
- Drives eco-shuttles on designated routes.
- Adheres to all traffic regulations.
- Drives in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintains scheduled runs.
- Displays courteous manners to all passengers.
- Checks eco-shuttle for damage and maintenance needs, such as battery level.
- Helps maintain eco-shuttle cleanliness.
- Practices non-aggressive, defensive driving techniques; anticipates and reports traffic problems to other drivers.
- Monitors eco-shuttle dashboard, reports discrepancies, and initiates correction.
- Monitors and responds to communications over radio.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable safety procedures and emergency equipment in the event of an illness, accident, or breakdown.
- Makes oneself familiar and adheres to University polices in regards to Standards of Conduct.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have current Class C driver’s license.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Physical strength and mobility to assist with passengers who use a wheelchair.
- Skill in driving eco-shuttle in pedestrian congested areas.
- Knowledge of various safe-driving techniques.
- Must become familiar with campus building names to help direct visitors.
- Be knowledgeable of campus layout and parking facilities.
- Must maintain an acceptable attendance record.
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations:
- Must have current Class C driver’s license.
Tools & Equipment Used:
- Eco-shuttle, GPS system, Hytera 400 MHz radio, and Workday time card.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work assigned hours and may be required to work overtime and weekends, as needed. May need to adjust shifts; work extended or late shifts.
- Job hours and/or work week may be changed when necessary to meet work commitments.
- Employee is required to properly wear a uniform issued by USD.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$14.00 per hour. This is a temporary, non-benefits-based position with an anticipated end date of December 17, 2021.
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 25 hours per week
Closing date: November 1, 2021
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend