Position Title & Department:
| Building Maintenance Mechanic 2; Building Maintenance Operations Support
The mission of the University of San Diego Facilities Management Department is to efficiently operate, maintain, and support the development of quality facilities, grounds, and services, and at the same time to support our campus community, students, faculty, and staff. Through our efforts, we support the university's commitment to pursuing truth, academic excellence, and the advancement of knowledge.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Performs skilled maintenance mechanical duties necessary to maintain all building structures, equipment, and furnishings on any University property such as repairing/replace thermostats, clean and maintain space heaters, repair/replace window screens and latches. Make minor repairs to furniture. Performs semi-skilled maintenance to space heaters, water heaters and fan coil unit heaters, cooling and ventilation and refrigeration systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
Performs skilled level tasks related to plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and heating trades in the following categories of work.
- Performs routine repairs on plumbing parts and fixtures. Clear sinks, bathtubs, toilets, sewer and drain lines.
- Performs relamping either on a trouble call referral basis or a part of a schedule program.
- Submits reports, orally, or in writing of progress and status as necessary to ensure proper job accounting and to identify and resolve any problems encountered that may cause delays, shut-down, or damage.
- Reads and interprets blue prints, specifications, shop drawings, shematics, manufacturer’s specification and other reference material to determine appropriate job requirements and procedures.
- Maintains tools and equipment in good condition.
- Continually expands knowledge of the trade through appropriate courses, seminars, publications, and contact with others in the trade.
- Works in a neat and orderly manner. Cleans up daily and at the end of a job.
- Works from ladders and lifts as well as in confined spaces and crawl spaces both overhead and under floors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Semi-skilled tasks as related to HVAC and refrigeration.
- Consistently follows and enforces safety practices appropriate to building maintenance and complies with rules and regulations established by the University and governmental agencies;
- Maintains an awareness of the typical hazards of the work place as well as the special hazards that may be encountered at any University facility location such as biohazards, low-grade radiation and chemicals known to the State of California to cause, birth defects, or other reproductive harm;
- Follows established governmental (local, state and federal) procedures for dealing with special hazards; and promptly reports any unusual conditions to the supervisor.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
- Must be able to work assigned hours and may be assigned to work any shift. Employees working in this classification may be designated as essential personnel and subject to occasional overtime, call backs and may be required to serve 24/7 on-call rotation.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and be able to drive University vehicles.
- May be assigned to work in the vicinity of laboratories where biohazards, radioactive or other potentially hazardous substances are stored or used.
- Take University supplied (self-study) enrichment courses.
- Must work individually or in teams coordinating assigned work with other groups and departments.
- May be assigned to work at any USD facility/location.
- Assist craft workers from other trades or shops when assigned.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Substantial knowledge in all of the functional areas.
- Substantial skills at the skilled level in one of the functional areas.
- Skilled in maintenance and repair procedures including preventative maintenance, break down repair, and troubleshooting.
- Ability to operate and maintain hand and power tools, typically used in the trade, in a safe manner.
- Physical ability to perform indicated tasks. Basic knowledge of applicable codes and regulations.
- Ability to work well in teams or alone.
- Basic ability to read and interpret blueprints, shop drawings, and diagrams.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of University systems and procedures.
- Knowledge of electricity, plumbing, carpentry, and mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of operations and maintenance of space heaters.
- Knowledge of sheet metal repair and fabrication.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment subject to frequents change in priorities.
- Ability to access input and retrieves information from a computer system for word processing, records retrieval and maintenance, research and communication purposes;
- Understands the importance of customer service and has the ability to follow-up as well as communicate to FM and the campus clients.
$18.82 - $21.88 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday to Friday 3:30 PM - 12:00 AM
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.