The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This position is largely responsible for the University’s benefit program compliance activities within the Department of Human Resources. This position will also provide support to the Director of Benefits in the day-to-day operations of the Benefits department and will provide excellent customer service to university employees when they have benefits questions or need support with a benefits-related issue.
Primarily, this position helps research, analyze, evaluate, and administer USD’s benefit programs. Generates reports to analyze census data, trends and/or issues. Evaluates/tests HRIS systems set-up and data changes within Workday. Monitors benefit program compliance within USD’s operational units. Serves as a point of contact representing USD’s benefit plans. Models and demonstrates behaviors that exemplify USD’s Culture of Care and responds to employee benefits inquiries with empathy and a willingness to support. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. May lead and direct the work of others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Governance & Compliance
- Stays current on U.S. health care legislation, including emerging and new legislation, providing recommendations to the Director on potential changes necessary for compliance.
- Supports major functions of the benefits team, including analyzing and reporting census data, monitoring and managing data files, fulfilling survey/benchmarking reports and responding to time-sensitive ad-hoc requests as needed
- Works with USD’s operational units and institutional partners to ensure continued compliance with existing and new legislated requirements.
- Prepares summaries, writes reports, and makes presentations of analytic results as requested.
- Provides reporting and documentation regarding employee eligibility; works with employees and vendors on daily eligibility and enrollment issues
- Maintains and provides thorough procedural and activity documentation for USD’s internal and external auditors regarding all compliance activity.
- Collaborates with HRIS and Payroll to ensure all employee data is accurate and readily available in a timely manner for IRS/ACA reporting requirement on IRS forms 1094-C and 1095-C.
- Assists Director as needed with preparation and distribution of plan documents, annual discrimination testing, annual Form 5500 reporting and audits.
Benefits Administration and Oversight
- Provides guidance and backup to the Benefits Assistant for a broad spectrum of responsibilities within the Benefits Department:
- Development of forms and documents for benefits;
- Reviews and approves benefit and insurance enrollments and changes for processing.
- Organizing and scheduling various events;
- Developing and distributing benefit educational materials;
- Verifying employee enrollments, changes, and terminations to group insurance and retirement plans;
- Supporting with the Open Enrollment/new hire process and communication;
- Conduct Benefits New Employee Orientations
- Facilitating the tuition remission and tuition exchange processes;
- Works with highly confidential employee information and is responsible for compliance with ACA, COBRA, IRS, DOL, FMLA, FEHA, ERISA, CFRA, PDL, and HIPPA privacy regulations.
- Provides back-up assistance to the Benefit Assistant by reconciling/auditing and/or paying benefit and insurance premiums to the insurance companies.
- Provides excellent customer support to resolve employee questions/issues and exercises empathy and care when responding to inquiries.
- Supports the Director in the design and implementation of new benefit programs
- Identifies problem areas, or address employee concerns
- Resolves discrepancies
- Recommends alternative solutions; assists with implementation
- Supports with design/distribution of relevant communications
Administration of the University’s Workers’ Compensation Plan
- Serves as lead and provides oversight for Worker’s Compensation claims processes and worker injury reporting.
- Communicates regularly with injured employees, supervisors, Reemployability and WC Carrier.
- With Director, participates in WC claims reviews, helps develop action plans for long-term or litigated claims
- Completes and submits OSHA 300 Log
HRIS Maintenance and Development
- Conducts testing and troubleshooting for the Workday HR/Payroll system; identifies benefit problems in HRIS and works with the HRIS team to resolve issues and ensure compliance
- Develops reports or works with HRIS to develop needed reports
- Assists with annual Open Enrollment and HRIS set-up/testing
Administration of the University’s Education Benefits
- Manages Tuition Remission benefit, coordinating with Provost Office and Financial Aid to determine eligibility and distribute employee communications
- Liaison Officer for the Tuition Exchange Program
- Administers the communication, selection, and notification process
- Prepares annual report to the Exchange
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years work experience in HR and/or Benefits environment is required, preferably in a medium to large organization.
- Experience in higher education a plus.
- HS Diploma plus two additional years of related experience may substitute for the education requirement.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Must be self-directed, resourceful with creative problem solving
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws related to Benefits, i.e. Affordable Care Act, 403(b), COBRA, Section 125 Cafeteria plans, Workers Compensation
- Considerable working knowledge of computers, word processing, spreadsheets, and database required (MS Office preferred)
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with report writers
- Ability to interact with all level of management and employees across multiple departments
- Overall knowledge of the HR department and its functions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluency in oral and written Spanish strongly preferred; ability to translate as needed
- Analyze and assess situations and respond with the appropriate course of action
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; must be detail-oriented, effectively manages work flow
- Excellent math skills
- Excellent telephone etiquette, demonstrated ability to work effectively with multiple phone lines
- Accurate typing and proofreading skills; and working knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits