As part of the Employee Engagement Team, this position provides direct support to faculty, staff, and administrators to ensure the university has the right talent, leadership and culture in place for the university to accomplish its mission.
Specifically, this role works with departments to strategically plan recruitment processes that attract diverse and exceptional talent, successfully onboard new employees, ensure employees have training and feedback mechanisms in place to help teams excel, and create memorable experiences that instill a sense of pride in their roles at the University of San Diego.
This position investigates employee concerns, prepares investigative reports, and works with involved parties to resolve concerns. This role serves as a liaison between employees and other functional areas within Human Resources to compassionately address needs related to benefits, compensation, leaves of absence, workers compensation, and compliance.
This position also researches and deploys employee engagement best practices to ensure the university can make informed decisions based on the needs of our employee population. Works with highly confidential employee information and is responsible for compliance with employee privacy laws and university policy.
This position is part of a team of similar positions and some of these positions may have an area of specialization (e.g. employment visas, Title IX).
Duties & Responsibilities:
Recruitment Facilitation Consulting with department management and the HR Organizational Development team, the position functions as a strategic consultant through the recruitment process to facilitate methods that will attract a diverse and qualified candidate pool:
- This position utilizes best practices and ensures policies and procedures are followed to ensure a fair, equitable and defensible hiring process.
- Includes providing the following services with exceptional service levels:
- Partner with the hiring department to ensure a fair and inclusive search process that provides candidates with an exceptional USD experience, regardless of whether they are selected for the position.
- This includes search committee training and guidance, communication with candidates, thoughtful consultation on the interview and selection process/experience.
- Lead strategic sourcing efforts including those that will attract both active and passive candidates.
- Writes and posts job advertisements and identifies recruitment sources suited for the position.
- Processes invoice payments.
- Represents USD at community, campus, and industry job fairs.
- Trains and supports hiring managers and applicants with the online application system; Creates and generates system reports as needed.
- Supervises the screening and interview process. Reviewing the applicant pool for minimum qualifications, participates in the interview process, assists with candidate selection and salary determination, as requested by the hiring manager.
- Manages background check process, including initiating and reviewing background checks, determining when secondary review is necessary, counseling department leadership in decision-making process, and communicating with candidates.
- Manages invoicing with USD’s background check vendor.
- Negotiates salary and benefits with candidates when making job offers.
- Manages the university’s temporary pool; reviews applications, interviews candidates, and makes appropriate recommendations to departments requesting assistance.
- Counsels supervisors and employees on university policies pertaining to employment, background checks, and I-9s.
- Manages employment visas and permanent resident processes as needed. Collaborates with hiring departments/units regarding new international faculty and staff visa processes.
- Serves as liaison between the university and outside immigration attorneys. Maintains records and files related to employment authorization.
- Verifies I-9 documents, provides training on I-9 completion process, and maintains compliance audits.
- Conducts follow-up with departments on compliance issues.
- Works closely with the HR Systems and Compliance team in functional role with the electronic recruiting system.
- Tests new features, runs reports, and works to help address concerns.
Onboarding and Employee Learning Partnering with the Organizational Development Team, this position helps design and deliver high-quality learning experiences for employees and managers:
- Organizes and facilitates an exceptional onboarding experience to create positive early employment experiences. This includes shared responsibilities for facilitation of Ole Monday, New Employee Orientation, Faculty Orientation, and other development experiences for new employees.
- Designs and delivers learning events on relevant topics including search committee training, USD policy/legal updates, and/or performance management.
- Management Consulting/Employee Relation Concerns and Investigations working in alignment with USD’s Culture of Care, this position works to build relationships across campus so that concerns can be brought forward and addressed constructively and compassionately.
- Counsels employees with inquiries regarding university policies/procedures and general HR information.
- Analyzes unique situations for appropriate policy implementation. Escalates issues appropriately within HR or other university functions (e.g. Provost, General Counsel, Risk Management, University Audit).
- Conducts employee investigations and resolutions; conducts fact finding interviews with complainants and other relevant parties/witnesses.
- Uses judgment and knowledge of USD policies and procedures to resolve issues.
- Writes investigative reports. Manages post-investigation follow up including appropriate reconciliation processes.
- Works with the Director to oversee Title IX case management including student counseling and process oversight.
- Coordinates and tracks annual performance evaluation process, including training delivery, assisting managers, and follow up with departments.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of campus climate and brings concerns forward so they can be proactively addressed.
Employee Engagement Programming and Events Collaborating with the Organizational Development team and other campus partners, this position works to organize meaningful employee programming designed to build positive morale and employee engagement:
- Work with the team to plan, organize and manage employee engagement events including the Service Award Ceremony, Annual Employee Community Barbecue, CHR Award Luncheon, Wellness Programming, and other community events.
- Partners with CHR@USD chairperson(s) to plan monthly meetings and events. Researches best practices for employee recognition and suggests findings on innovative improvements.
Leave of Absence Administration and Accommodation Requests Working closely with the Leave of Absence Coordinator, this position counsels employees and managers on university leave of absence processes:
- Counsels employees and managers on university leave of absence procedures and compensation during leave.
- Communicates with employee and supervisor/department throughout leave; Provides reports/updates to departments as requested. Ensures leaves are managed in compliance with state and federal regulations (FMLA, CFRA, PDL, etc.).
- Coordinates the interactive process when an applicant or employee requests reasonable accommodations due to a physical or mental disability.
HR Data Analytics Maintains recruitment statistics and generates monthly and quarterly reports:
- Identifies trends and makes recommendations designed to improve/enhance university recruiting efforts.
- Conduct exit interviews and other data collection procedures. Analyze information, identify trends and provide data-driven recommendations. Calculate turnover statistics and other identified metrics.
- Report on a monthly, quarterly, and/or annual basis as appropriate. Research best practices and advise HR leadership on possible strategies for future planning.
- Manages the HR and Jobs email inboxes.
- Process unemployment claims. Regularly review and update HR website, USD Jobs website and employee portal, working with HR team on content creation.
- Oversee the Mandated Reporters requirements, ensuring university is compliant with California Penal Code §§11164.
- Identify positions for training, communicate, and follow up appropriately.
- Special projects and other duties as needed or assigned.
- Requires Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience (at the rate of two years of college is equal to one year of experience).
- Two to five years of directly related experience where the individual is responsible for administration of policies related to HR (e.g. HR experience, management, conduct, law, Title IX).
- Two to five years of constituent-centered or service focused experience with demonstrated ability to resolve complex problems that meet underlying needs of both the constituent and the organization.
- Experience working with sensitive and/or confidential concerns.
- Experience using complex databases (e.g. Human Resources Information Systems, applicant tracking systems).
- Strong computer literacy required (e.g. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong communication skills required (e.g. listening, speaking, and writing).
- Graduate degree and/or HR Certification preferred.
- Professional level Human Resources experience, specifically in either recruitment, employee relations, training/professional development, generalist role, or some other related field.
- Experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with employment visas, discrimination, affirmative action, or Title IX.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of current regulations regarding employment practices.
- Knowledge of effective recruiting and interviewing techniques and best practices.
- Working knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations, FMLA, CFRA, PDL, HIPAA, FLSA, EEO and California wage and hour laws.
- Computer literacy (Windows, word processing software and computer spreadsheets), Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Some knowledge of data recordkeeping in an HRIS.
- Overall knowledge of the HR department and its functions.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated recruitment and interviewing skills.
- Independent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including accurate typing and proofreading skills.
- Strong administrative and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong leadership and delegation skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated public speaking skills.
- Conflict mediation skills.
- Investigatory skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; must be detail-oriented, effectively managing workflow.
- Strong math and analytical skill.
- Ability to work independently to prioritize, multi-task, and meet multiple simultaneous process and project deadlines.
- Ability to work consultatively with hiring managers, supervisors and department administrators.
- Ability to work with upset customers and potentially volatile situations in an effective, professional and positive manner that de-escalates the situation.
- Ability to effectively communicate and recommend policies and procedures as guides when answering employment questions.
- Safeguards confidentiality by exercising discretion in communicating information and handling records, files and all confidential materials.
- Ability to develop, produce and analyze ad hoc reports as needed
- Ability to analyze and assess situations and respond with the appropriate course of action.
- Personal value alignment with the university’s values.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to balance a sense of humor and sensitivity to situations.
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Must be self-directed, resourceful with creative problem solving ability skills
Tools & Equipment Used: Computer, General Office Equipment, Multi-line phones
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.