Under direction of the Marketing Director, the Marketing Manager/Senior Marketing Manager (MM/SMM) is assigned to work on educational programs in the Division of Professional and Continuing Education to: manage marketing strategies and campaigns that yield a quantifiable and significant return on marketing investments across the spectrum of channels; positively impact the fiscal performance of the programs and the quality of Professional and Continuing Education relationships with internal and external constituents who are collaborative partners; and is responsible for creating brand promise and attributes that are unique and important to the target audience for each degree program presented to the marketplace, developing compelling messaging campaigns, and stewarding the campaign process with all stake holders. Increase inquiries and enrollments by prospective students while decreasing cost per inquiry. In addition, the MM/SMM leads and implements brand strategy development, research, copywriting, interpersonal collaboration, project management, analysis, and staff/vendor management; Generates effective unique positioning for assigned existing programs and those targeted for launch; and conceives, plans, coordinates, and implements a comprehensive and multi-channeled marketing and communications program with the goal of increasing student enrollments and revenue in a self-supporting environment and positively shaping Professional and Continuing Education’s identity, profile and visibility within the community.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with and support the Marketing Director, Program Departments and Recruitment Services teams to build marketing campaigns that find and acquire student prospects and help convert them to students:
- Recommend budget for marketing spend and CPL for each program and participate in each re-forecasting initiative.
- Monitor the budget for each marketing program campaign with the goal of optimizing return on marketing investment.
- Senior Marketing Manager collaborates directly with Program Departments and Recruitment Services teams.
- The Marketing Manager works with the Marketing Director to plan and implement program-specific strategic and multi-channeled, integrated marketing and communication plans for degree programs including: selection, negotiation and booking of media, lists, career and educational portals, print, broadcast, referrals, and Web activities for social media and search activities for each program assigned:
- Conduct the planning, placement, organization, distribution, and evaluation of all promotional print, television, Web, radio advertising, social media and direct mail marketing of programs/courses assigned.
- Work with the Marketing Director to define keywords, audience profile, write content, and position programs for pay-per-click (PPC), search engine optimization (SEO), and online education directories (OEDs).
- Write copy and work with external vendors including digital agencies, designers, printers, marketing services and mail processing to develop and execute jobs, such as, collateral items, HTML email, website and landing pages, search engine optimization, pay-per-click, direct mail, print, etc.
- Develop a communication and marketing strategy that addresses the student life cycle and takes into account program priorities including: using customer data to establish optimum, cost effective contact practices; combining customer data to determine best ROI for promotional efforts.
- Implement electronic and online marketing efforts including: the development, maintenance, and optimization of the architecture and usability of Professional and Corporate Education’s online degrees website; the incorporation of search engine optimization and digital marketing techniques, and the utilization of other social and emerging digital marketing channels.
- Assist the Marketing Director in developing relationships with a wide variety of constituencies within the USD campus, throughout the San Diego area, nationally, and internationally, to advance Professional and Continuing Education’s goals and to enhance the organization’s image.
- Coordinate with USD’s Media Relations on various public relations and media planning opportunities as they arise.
- Senior Marketing Manager plans and implements program-specific strategic and multi-channeled, integrated marketing and communication plans and works directly with Program Managers/Directors.
- Support an integrated product marketing and communications strategy and implementation:
- Support the Marketing Director, Program Directors and Program Managers/Coordinators, to adapt and tailor the organization’s strategic marketing vision into a multi-channeled and comprehensive marketing plan for each program.
- Develop and implement marketing and communications product strategy, targeting, branding, creative services, print and online advertising, publication distribution, digital marketing, media planning, public relations, quality assurance, and on-time deliverables for all assigned programs.
- Develop a high-converting stream (lead-to-student) of inquiries from a diversified marketing mix that emphasizes strategic deployment of resources to the highest converting lead sources.
- Strategically evaluate and select outsourcing opportunities to vendors and contractors for various marketing projects in order to optimize internal and external resources.
- In consultation with the Marketing Director, manage marketing-related contracts. Senior Marketing Manager works directly with Program Coordinators/Managers/ Directors to produce product marketing and communications strategies and plans.
- Conduct market research, enrollment analysis, and marketing assessments:
- Develop and implement data-driven, metric-based marketing research, analysis and assessment tools.
- Assist in interpreting market research data for Professional and Continuing Education’s leadership team and academic departments in setting institutional and departmental curriculum development priorities for internal and external clients.
- Use market research to adjust marketing plans in order to optimize student recruitment and retention.
- Research marketing channels for specific audiences as support for assessing the ability to reach the target audience and build a marketing promotional plan.
- Research new opportunities and threats in the marketplace.
- Monitor, track and report on all campaign activities:
- Track inquiries from potential students for courses, certificates, and degrees from national, regional, and local audiences.
- Analyze database of prospective students to forecast future student conversions.
- Track and report on campaign response rates.
- Determine return-on-investment (ROI) on campaign expenditures.
- Track and report on cost-per-lead (CPL) by source.
- Track and report on cost-per-start (CPS) by each source per program.
- Provide, monitor and update consolidated marketing costs per program by source.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or additional equivalent experience is required (two years of related experience = four years of education), in a related field, preferably in Marketing or equivalent product management and/or ad agency work experience.
- At least two years’ experience in product marketing, campaign planning including direct and/or interactive marketing, research, messaging, positioning, copywriting.
- Demonstrated capacity for developing and understanding strategy.
- Excellent creative skills.
- Excellent Proficient with Microsoft Office, design, and layout.
- Strong knowledge of project management fundamentals.
- Excellent copy writing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability.
- Excellent CRM and CMS experience. Strong experience in WordPress is highly preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong ability to establish and build relationships with key stakeholders.
- Hands-on experience in search, online advertising and pay-per-click (PPC).
Senior Marketing Manager – in addition to those above:
- 3 – 5 years demonstrated work experience in product marketing.
- 3 years of demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Excellent knowledge of search, online advertising and pay-per-click (PPC).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of functional area and understanding of how work may impact other areas.
- Strong analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills.
- Strong knowledge of and skill in creating and implementing marketing campaigns.
- Working knowledge of current public educational programs and trends.
- Excellent skill in using business software systems in the completion of work assignments; i.e. Word and Excel and working knowledge of Access, PowerPoint, design print, Web analytics, search (paid and organic), and customer relations management (CRM) software.
- Excellent knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation.
- Excellent knowledge of appropriate editorial style and publication guidelines.
- Excellent skills to write clear, lively, engaging and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and/or the broader public, while ensuring adherence to the campus message.
- Excellent research and fact verification skills to conduct needs assessment, competitive analysis, and ability to promote.
- Thorough attention to detail and organizational skills.
Senior Marketing Manager – in addition to those above:
- Works independently to produce marketing campaigns.
- Excellent knowledge of and skill in creating and implementing marketing campaigns.
- Excellent knowledge of building Google Adwords campaigns.
- Excellent analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough knowledge of current public educational programs and trends.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends in order to meet project deadlines. Must be able to work with all required technologies and tools.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Personal computer (PC environment), various software applications (MS Office tools, Internet technologies, etc.), copier, fax machine, telephone.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.