Reporting to the Access and Outreach Services Librarian, the Circulation and Technology Support Specialist functions as a member of a cross-trained Access and Outreach Services team designed to provide excellent service at the first point of contact for library users, which is the Circulation Desk.
This individual serves as the Technology Support Specialist for all library (staff and public) computers and printers and provides initial orientation for library faculty and staff on the use of computer hardware and supported applications.
This individual monitors all equipment (e.g., AV, copier, printers) and reports technical problems to the proper campus department. He/ she is responsible for the Campus Cash System and the collection of fines for overdue or lost books.
He/she thoroughly understands how to use the Innovative Interfaces Circulation Modules in order to process patron and book records to solve problems. This individual must be able to work independently and unsupervised, as well as a team member.
On certain days may be the sole library staff member on duty, having functional responsibility for the entire library and all equipment, including computers. He/she must be flexible in adjusting work schedules when necessary to ensure that the Access and Outreach Services Department is staffed including evenings and weekends.
This individual works Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. During finals week, he/she will be required to work a varied schedule.
This position has an extensive public service component requiring regular interaction with the general public in person, by telephone, and/or electronically.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Serves as Circulation and Technology Support Specialist for all library Technologies:
• Reports any critical library computing and technology changes or concerns to Access Services and Outreach Librarian for communicating to ITS.
• Monitors, troubleshoots and provides support for all library technologies (ex. Digital signs, security gates, reservation systems, and self-checkout.)
• Coordinates with Copley’s Budget and Operations Manager on scheduling replacement of leased computers and multifunction printers for Copley Library.
• Communicates general software licensing needs for library computers to ITS before deployment.
• Installs library-licensed software on appropriate library computers (staff and public.)
• Provides the initial library faculty and staff orientation on the use of supported applications and computer systems.
• Communicates with ITS to upgrade computers and peripherals as needed.
• Communicates library technology problems to ITS as they arise.
• Documents specific process (ex. Fines collection procedures, offline circulation procedures) or library needs for continuity of services and support as needed by the library.
Maintains a staff supervisor presence at the Access Services Desk:
• Oversees the Circulation Desk area and provides circulation and information assistance to patrons.
• Trains, supervises, and evaluates student workers in carrying out job assignments.
• Assists student employees in implementing system functions for which student staff are not pass-worded (ex. fines collection.)
• Ensures that patrons are served (refer to reference librarians or other staff) and telephones answered.
• Ensures the confidentiality of patron records in accordance with applicable laws • Enforces and follows all library policies.
• Works with all parts of the Innovative OPAC and Circulation Modules.
• Assists patrons with the operation of all equipment, e.g., copiers, microform readers/printers, campus cash, and computers.
• Assists in processing trace and hold request for items needed by patrons including those requested from offsite storage.
• Initiates communication with patrons, e.g., faculty, students, administrators, etc., and performs tasks required to begin "Missing items search (changing STATUS to "s" on search and or facilitate ILL/circuit search).
Monitors Equipment and Campus Cash Systems:
• Reports technical mechanical problems of audiovisual equipment to Instructional Technology Services and arranges for service as needed.
• Verifies operational readiness of all library equipment upon arriving in the morning.
• Administers and troubleshoots public use of Bloomberg computer in Copley Library.
• Oversees collection and storage of data from all library technologies (ex. library security gates, printers, study room reservation system) and provides reports to library administration.
• Deploys and supports technology for Copley Library programs and events.
• Monitors Copley library equipment needs such as replacement parts and printer toner and communicates needs to Copley’s budget and operations manager or appropriate department.
Administers and oversees the collection of money owed to the library:
• Manages the processing of all SALLY records for all overdue items on a daily basis.
• Executes the billing process and interacts with patrons concerning problem accounts (claims-returned, fine disputes, etc.)
• Trains all personnel in the performance of overdue/fine policies and procedures.
• Interacts with Enterprise Administrative Systems & Services Department (Banner) and Student Accounts offices to recover fines and fees from delinquent patron accounts.
• Manages current cash flow and balances receipts for patron fines.
• Coordinates with Head of Access and Outreach Services about any loan rule issues.
• Coordinates with Access and Outreach Services Librarian to determine replacement costs for lost books and communicates with patrons on related issues.
Participates with other Access Services employees in stack maintenance:
•Oversees student personnel in shelving materials.
•Assists with shifting the collection when necessary.
•Other duties as assigned.