Position Title & Department:
| Custodian; University Center
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Open and close the building and ensure security of facility. Perform building rounds (interior and exterior)and inspections. Provides routine and non-routine support associated with the daily cleaning in the non-Auxiliary Services areas in the Hahn University Center, Student Life Pavilion, and Salomon Lecture Hall.Typical routine duties include, but are not limited to: dust mopping, sweeping, wet mopping, vacuuming,dusting, cleaning restrooms, removing trash, polishing furniture, operation of basic mechanical cleaningequipment and filling out simple forms. Support of event operations team with the set-up, break down,and of event furniture and be responsive to facility event schedule and anticipating non-routine needs toaddress event preparation and clean up. Performs various duties requiring moderate physical strengthand acts as safety and evacuation managers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Daily lock/unlock and cleaning of common areas of Hahn University Center and Student Life Pavilion (UCSLP), Salomon Lecture Hall.
- Daily duties include cleaning bathrooms, hallways, lounge spaces meeting rooms and offices. Ensure there is never more than two-days of dust, dirt, stains, and streaks.
- Assist building management with priority projects which may include; floor refinishing, moving furniture, upholstery cleaning, set-up and break down of events
- Assist the UCSLP management team with service to guests.
- Duties may include room set-ups, public relations, refuse removal and other duties as assigned.
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
- Ability to perform manual tasks requiring moderate physical strength.
- Must be able to complete simple forms and conduct simple inventories of supplies.
- Must be able to maintain good working relations with students, faculty and staff, and adhere toUniversity policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work alone or with minimal supervision.
- Ability to operate basic mechanical cleaning equipment.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to lift fifty pounds.
- Understanding of and knowledge of safe handling of chemicals and MSDS rules and regulations.
- Understanding of custodial processes and procedures.
- Be responsive and flexible to changing work schedule in order to support event operations including set-up and break down tasks. May be asked to work early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays based on department needs.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Employee is required to wear a uniform prescribed and furnished by USD. Due to hours of operation of the Hahn University Center and Student Life Pavilion the custodian may be expected to work weekends and/or evenings
Tools & Equipment Used:
Vacuums, hand tools, floor buffer, carpet extractor, mops, and other tools related to the trade.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$15.00/hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.