Position Title & Department:
| Open Rank Research Scientist; School of Leadership and Education Sciences
Mother Rosalie Hill Hall on the University of San Diego campus is home to the School of Leadership and Education Sciences' (SOLES) vibrant and vision-driven collective of academic departments, centers and institutes. Here, we combine innovation with introspection, academics with real-world application, and study with social impact.
Our nationally-accredited programs span the realms of leadership, teaching and counseling, both at graduate and undergraduate levels. They're all approached with an emphasis on social justice, multiculturalism and a determination to forge a better world together.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a full-time, temporary, benefit based position with an assignment end date of June 30, 2020.
We are seeking an Open Rank Research Scientist (Research Scientist, Senior Research Scientist or Principal Research Scientist), whose primary purpose is to lead research or evaluation studies, as assigned or developed, on behalf of the Jacobs Institute for Innovation in Education (JI). The successful candidate will be expected to maintain an active research agenda which includes seeking external research funding. We are seeking a scholar grounded in the Learning Sciences, with experience researching, developing, and/or evaluating educational innovation initiatives. Domain expertise in educational technology, computer science education, career development, and/or social-emotional learning preferred. The Research Scientist will work with the JI team and under the general guidance and supervision of the Director of Research.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in staff, research team, project team meetings, and others as assigned.
- Serve on JI and/or university committees as assigned.
- Represent JI in a professional manner in all activities.
- Complete tasks—large and small—as needed to advance the work of the center.
- Present findings at conferences, as needed.
- Opportunities for teaching as part of the work-load are available.
Research and development
- As assigned, serve as Primary Investigator for research and/or evaluation projects. Under the general guidance of the Director of Research, manage all logistical, budgetary, and methods-related aspects of the assigned research or evaluation projects.
- Lead or engage in the development of research proposals to philanthropic funders, private clients, and/or government granting agencies; preparation of project budgets in collaboration with the project and personnel manager.
- Develop research plans, identify theoretical frameworks and implementation strategies; Conduct field research as needed.
- Develop analysis plans, analyze data sets by applying appropriate quantitative and qualitative data analysis techniques.
- Disseminate research findings and new knowledge to researchers, practitioners, policymakers, and/or other stakeholder communities through publications, presentations, workshops, forums, and/or social media.
- Duties include the preparation of conference proposals, journal articles, and/or technical reports, papers, or records.
- Work with educators, education leaders, and/or technology producers in research-practice partnerships and improvement science efforts.
- Doctoral degree in education, counseling, psychology, engineering or closely-related disciplines.
- 3+ years of research experience and analyzing educational data (ABD are invited to apply if complete within 90 days of start date).
- Record of research papers published in high-impact peer-reviewed journals.
- Deep knowledge and experience in educational technology, learning sciences, innovation in education.
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills, work experience of SPSS/SAS/R/Python
- Strong analytical, organizational, planning, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to take initiative and follow through with tasks and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institute staff, affiliated faculty, school district personnel, and other stakeholders.
- Must possess flexibility and versatility in order to contribute to evolving work situations.
- Record or strong potential of external funding.
- 6+ years’ experience conducting quantitative, qualitative, and/or mixed methods research and/or evaluation.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Experience of effectively managing project team and providing mentorship to junior staff
Special Conditions of Employment:
The appointment is renewable at the discretion of the University and dependent upon performance and continued funding.
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check is required after a contingent offer of employment is made. The contingent offer may be finalized once the background investigation has been completed and the results accepted by the university.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.