The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Budget Analyst supports the Senior Associate Director of Athletics for Administration in establishing, monitoring, and maintaining the university’s operating budget. The Budget Analyst collects, reviews, and analyzes data used in the budget planning process. This position analyzes and communicates budget trends, deficits, and surpluses on a timely basis to budget administrators, and keeps the Associate VP for Athletics & Senior Associate apprised of significant budget issues. The Budget Analyst prepares and disseminates routine operating budget reports; monitors departmental compliance to budgets; and provides assistance to departments as needed. The Budget Analyst will serve as a budget and administrative resource for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and will provide lead technical support to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Administration. The Budget Analyst uses independent judgment, proactively identifies issues and makes suggestions for resolution; troubleshoots problems, makes recommendations, and handles highly confidential matters and materials in a time-sensitive environment. The Budget Analyst oversees 21 operating, 45 restricted, and 5 endowment accounts.
General supervision from Senior Associate Director of Athletics for Administration. Directly supervises dedicated student workers and dedicated intern.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Budget Administration
- Analyzes and communicates budget trends, deficits, and surpluses to budget administrators. Keeps the Senior Associate apprised of significant budget issues.
- Analyze monthly financial reports comparing actuals to budget ensuring accuracy. Discuss monthly activity with coaches and department heads to ensure expenses are in-line with budget.
- Analyzes trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments and obligations incurred to predict future revenues and expenses.
- Interprets data and responsible for tracking and general budget oversight of all athletics accounts, including salary, operating, restricted, revenue, and endowment accounts.
- Implements internal controls and maintains accountability of the Athletics Business Office.
- Analyzes expenditures, identifies problems and discrepancies and makes corrections with journal entries and budget appropriations.
- Compiles data from statistical studies and analyzes past and current organizational financial performance to assist with executive decision-making.
- Designs, develops, and conducts special studies in the assigned areas of fiscal operations. Interprets fiscal rules and policies and recommends new and improved programs.
- Review and analyze processes as needed to identify areas for improvement and implement solutions.
- Reconciles monthly ticket office revenues with Ticket Office staff.
- Prepares detailed monthly financial reports for athletics accounts, and forecasts future departmental needs. Works closely with the Senior Associate AD for Administration, the Associate VP for Athletics and the divisional Budget and Administrative Manager.
- Tracks special, one-time special fund distributions from the NCAA and West Coast Conference to ensure expenditures are appropriate and compliant.
- Maintains updated and accurate list of Oracle authorized signers and key members.
- Sets up new accounts and tasks in Oracle.
- Purchasing and Accounts Payable
- Supervises student workers and intern to processes complex One Card logs and expense reports, including extensive recruiting and team travel for 21 sports and budget areas. Screens and evaluates logs and reports for policy compliance.
- Processes electronic purchase requisitions via Oracle and coordinates payment of purchase orders, invoices and accounts payable functions.
- Processes petty cash vouchers, check requests, advances and game starting cash for 21 sports and areas.
- Maintains extensive back-up files.
- Problem solves accounts payable questions via Oracle, phone calls and file research.
- Coordinates department One Card program.
- Educates Athletic Department personnel to ensure compliance with department and University accounts payable and procurement policies and procedures.
- Athletic Aid, Cell phones, visiting team travel, relocation
- Process/coordinate team holiday and intersession meal funding through the AAID account.
- Process/coordinate special student educational, health, safety, and family expenses through the SAOF account.
- Act as department liaison with Residential Life and Dining Services for teams required to be on campus during Intersession, Summer Session and holidays.
Cell Phones - Works closely with Telecom and Verizon Wireless to set up and administer athletic department cell phone plans.
Visiting Team Travel - Acts as liaison with Athletic Department preferred/sponsored hotel partners and coordinates hotel accommodations for qualified visiting teams.
Relocation - Coordinates Athletic Department’s relocation assistance program. Works closely with new employees, procurement, and accounts payable to ensure compliance within University and departmental policies, procedures, and budget constraints.
Minimum and Preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Accounting or business degree preferred.
- Three years’ experience working with budgets, accounting, and/or office administration.
- Experience building relationships with a variety of personalities and personal styles.
- CPA Preferred (Certified Public Accountant)
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to problem-solve in an effective and positive manner, working from a solution-oriented, positive approach.
- Ability to project, organize and administer budgets, and analyze and interpret financial data.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact and work with a broad range of people, using tact and diplomacy.
- Must possess flexibility and versatility; able to perform in new, changing, or pressure situations; willing to try new and different methods or procedures and contribute to evolving work situations.
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to handle several major projects simultaneously.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with a variety of department and university stakeholders.
- Ability to anticipate needs and potential problems.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information regarding students and employees as required by University policy and FERPA regulations.
- Understanding of NCAA and conference rules and regulations.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings as needed for department events.
- Successful completion of required background checks.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPR certification required for compliance with department regulations.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits