Assistant Professor, Counseling
Job Number: 468
Position Status: Faculty, Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: School of Leadership and Education Sciences, Faculty
Position Title & Department:
|Assistant Professor, Counseling
The Department of Counseling & Marital and Family Therapy at the University of San Diego includes masters programs in Counseling (Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling specialization, both CACREP accredited) and Marital & Family Therapy (COAMFTE accredited). The Counseling program enrolls approximately 60 students each year, with at least half of the students coming from out-of-state. The majority of students are pursuing their degrees full-time and many receive financial assistance. The Department and USD have a strong commitment to diversity, social justice, and global education, as well as evidence-based practices. The program has developed strong collaborative relationships with local agencies, clinics, and schools to provide an array of practicum sites, including continuation schools, youth and family service centers, veteran's services, and culturally specific centers. In addition, students are required to participate in at least one global education experience prior to graduation.
The Assistant Professor will be expected to teach core and specialization courses in the Counseling Program. Faculty members are also expected to demonstrate scholarly productivity, as reflected in publications, professional presentations, and research grants. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to student advising, admissions, curriculum assessment/development, and general departmental and university service. Preference will be given to candidates who can teach basic and advanced counseling courses in the counseling program and supervise practicum/fieldwork courses. The successful candidate:
- Will contribute to the department’s mission of providing outstanding teaching, research, and service;
- Will have an appreciation of diverse constituencies and add to the department’s commitment to diversity;
- Will have the ability to collaborate productively with students and faculty at USD; and
- Will have strong oral and written communication skills, and effective interpersonal skills.
The faculty is especially seeking candidates with a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and social justice, as evidenced by their research commitment to diversity as part of their research agenda. Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated research skills and the ability to articulate a coherent research agenda. Candidates for this position must meet the following minimum criteria:
- an earned doctorate in Counselor Education from a CACREP accredited program. ABD candidates will be considered, but must complete degree requirements by date of appointment;
- experience teaching in a specialization in one or more areas appropriate to the program degree offerings (i.e., Clinical Mental Health Counseling and/or School Counseling);
- demonstrated evidence of scholarly productivity (i.e., publications, presentations, and/or grant funding);
- evidence of strong graduate-level teaching;
- active participation in professional counseling organizations; and
- demonstrate a strong commitment to multiculturalism and social justice.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- manuscripts published in national refereed counseling journals;
- experience working as a practicing professional counselor (Clinical Mental Health or School Counseling);
- demonstrated evidence of/potential for grant writing; and
- evidence of leadership in professional counseling organizations.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
All applicants should submit a letter of interest which includes a summary of teaching and research experience and interests, curriculum vita, and a personal statement that includes evidence of their commitment to promoting diversity. In short, the personal statement should help the faculty identify candidates who have the professional skills, experience, and/or willingness to engage in activities that will advance USD’s campus diversity and equity goals. Submit application materials and the names and contact information for three references.
Preference will be given to applications and supporting documents received by November 16, 2018, but the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
Questions regarding the position may be directed to Tiffany Musick, Executive Assistant, Department of Counseling & Marital and Family Therapy (email@example.com).
If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend